Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused Understanding Scaling
ANSI D paper is 22" x 34"  and I want a 50' line

At 1:32 or 3/8":1' I believe this should be a 18.75" line on paper.

If I draw a line and watch the status bar, I can stop at 50'. The line is an unexpected 6" or so. If I select the line and type 50' it shoots off the page. What noob mistake am I making? Jeez I feel stupid. Never thought I would find trying to draw lines so frustrating. The voice in my head is not saying nice things to me . . . not when I can't find a darn thing in the manual to help me understand what I'm doing wrong. 

Thanks again,

Ron Confused
If you are drawing to 1:32 scale then 34 inches by 22 inches will be actually 1088 inches by 704 inches as you are drawing in DeltaCad.
The 18.75 line length for a 50' line will not come into play until you print it out on D size paper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you should first draw a box 1088" x  704" >> :
Go to the Shapes tab and 
Click on the create [Square] box then 
Move your mouse pointer anywhere on the drawing screen and click the mouse button, then 
Type in 1088, 704 in the bottom left corner of the DeltaCad screen and press the [ENTER] key. 
note:  Don't forget to put a comma between the numbers, the 1st number is always horizontal (X) and the 2nd number is vertical (Y).

You should see a horizontal and a vertical line.
Go to the View tab and click on the [All] button to bring the entire box into the screen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To draw a 50 foot horizontal line, 
Go to the Line tab then 
Click on the [Horizontal line] button then 
Click on the drawing screen with your mouse pointer where you want to start the line and 
Move your mouse pointer in the direction you want the line to go then
Type in 50' and press the [ENTER] key.
(notice I put in a single quote after the 50 this tells DeltaCad this number is in FEET, if you leave off the single quote it will make the line 50 INCHES.

I hope this alleviates some confusion and helps you get started.
You should start with simple drawings and learn the functions of each feature of DeltaCad.

AlwMVMO
Admin. and moderator
(10-29-2020, 01:27 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: I hope this alleviates some confusion and helps you get started.
You should start with simple drawings and learn the functions of each feature of DeltaCad.
AlwMVMO
Admin. and moderator

Thank you!

OK, I've edited this twice as I slap myself upside the head a couple of times.

Yes!!!! My project is to draw a very basic house plan and I never considered drawing it in 1:1! My past experience, obviously something to overcome, is to make the drawing match the paper I have to work with. There is the big "duh!" I was fixated on making my drawing fit on the paper! So I "assumed" I needed to figure out how to put 50' on the 36" paper. All my searches for help were for the wrong thing based on the bad assumption.  

I find it's a balance. I teach bicycle maintenance as a volunteer. Most people want their bike safe and be able to correctly fix a flat. In my class I can get into looking at the tire/rim clocking before removing the tire, how to use the valve stem hole in the rim to reference the hole in the tube to check the tire, why that may be a good idea rather than running your hand around inside the tire in February on the side of the trail, why a bucket of water isn't necessary and you probably won't have one in February on the side of the trail, why an old fashioned patch is better than a quickie no prep, how to clock the tire on the rim, if they want to consider an alternate method using the tire inflation specs in relationship to the valve stem hole, checking the tube protector, etc. And maybe carrying a spare tube is worth the weight for the average rider/commuter. But if someone comes in on a Sat. and wants to fix the flat so they can go ride with their friends, well I can help and send them on their way.

Some of use need to have our hands guided to pick up two tire leavers, put them a spoke apart, and push on both at the same time. So I've seen people struggle with what I just said simply because the vocabulary is so foreign to them. Or me . . . .

I really do appreciate the help and acknowledge your gift of time. Best case the next person who struggles will find this post or it can be provided as a reference.

Bad assumptions . . . . .  1:1, never would have considered it . . . .

Ron
(10-29-2020, 06:03 PM)KellisRJ Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 01:27 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: I hope this alleviates some confusion and helps you get started.
You should with simple drawings and learn the functions of each feature of DeltaCad.
AlwMVMO
Admin. and moderator

OK, just watched the Selecting The Correct Drawing Scale for the 3 ~ 4th time. Now it makes sense. Reading the earlier

(03-21-2019, 02:03 PM)badhorse Wrote:
Quote:"To make a 1' (one) foot line with 8 grid points your grid spacing would have to be 1.5 inch spacing."

I would never have guessed that.

I have looked at the tutorials. Maybe I should take up basket weaving.

post for the 3rd time I both I feel his pain and think I  get it now. Argggggggggg
When drawing large things like a house, you need to use the scale feature so when you dimension it 
the arrowheads are large enough to see otherwise at a 1:1 scale they are just tiny dots.

I enjoy answering peoples questions. I sometimes learn things I didn't know. 
Gives me some insight into the different things people are doing. 
And yes I do think about the next person who needs help
It keeps my brain thinking instead of watching mindless cat videos. ha ha Smile