Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dividing a line into equal segments
Hi there,

I've searched the manual and the forums for a way to divide a line into equal segments and not found anything, which is surprising. Perhaps it's there but it's not called dividing? I found the split line function but that seems to require manually placing the point (or snapping to an existing point/line).

In the particular case I'm looking at I need to divide a line into 3 equal segments. This could be done by splitting the line into three or adding two points at the 1/3 and 2/3 marks, so I can snap to them. More generally I do need a way to divide lines into N equal parts.

I'm new to DeltaCAD so still learning my way around. Sorry if this is covered somewhere already.

Thank you,
David.
(11-19-2021, 04:59 AM)woodspiral Wrote: Hi there,

I've searched the manual and the forums for a way to divide a line into equal segments and not found anything, which is surprising.  Perhaps it's there but it's not called dividing?  I found the split line function but that seems to require manually placing the point (or snapping to an existing point/line).

In the particular case I'm looking at I need to divide a line into 3 equal segments.  This could be done by splitting the line into three or adding two points at the 1/3 and 2/3 marks, so I can snap to them.  More generally I do need a way to divide lines into N equal parts.

I'm new to DeltaCAD so still learning my way around.  Sorry if this is covered somewhere already.

Thank you,
David.

So I found the answer by accident.  It's under the Point menu, 4th button from the left 'Draw mid-points'.  I would never have thought of thirds, for example, as 'mid-points', but perhaps this is a technical drawing term I'm not aware of.   Perhaps the manual could be extended to mention 'division' of the line?

Sorry, I've not had time to sit down and read the manual cover to cover, which I intend to do at some time.  I'm up against a deadline to produce some drawings of my house.

Thank you,
David.
Hello David, and welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you found what you wanted. 

DeltaCad has several useful features like the one you've found, which you may not be aware of at first. One of my favourites is Cp (Copy Object Properties) which enables the properties of one object (e.g., line thickness or colour) of an existing object to be easily used in another. Saves no end of time when editing.

John
(11-20-2021, 02:06 PM)jw48 Wrote: Hello David, and welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you found what you wanted. 

DeltaCad has several useful features like the one you've found, which you may not be aware of at first. One of my favourites is Cp (Copy Object Properties) which enables the properties of one object (e.g., line thickness or colour) of an existing object to be easily used in another. Saves no end of time when editing.

John

Thanks, John, I'll bear that one in mind.  It's taking me a while to come up to speed on this but I'm getting there.  One thing I noticed is that there aren't shortcuts for everything - for example I'm often switching between horizontal and vertical lines in the line tool which I'm doing so by clicking on the ribbon menu.  Perhaps there is a shortcut for this but it's not obvious. Perhaps it could be done through a macro I wonder...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dividing a circle by X degrees? jlscheele 4 3,808 11-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO