Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Font table update-how to?
Hello DC users. I'm a newbie to the Deltacad world. I find it a great tool for designing simple model aircraft kits. Part of the process in doing this involves laser cutting of material, and in this process I also laser etch part numbers onto the various pieces being cut.

The best font for this is a very simple, single line style such as gdt.shx. This text is then converted into line entities for the laser cutter to run against for the etching process.

I've been developing my layouts in DC using Arial font. To get to the gdt.shx font I then save the part file as a .dxf format and open it up in Turbocad. Here I convert the font style, and also explode the fonts into line entities. This results in the file that is sent to the laser cutting process.

Now Dc 7.0 includes the ability to explode font into lines, much as the Turbocad application does. What is missing is the gdt.shx font in the font table in Deltacad. I would love to keep the whole process in one application, as I find there are data corruption issues in going from Dc to Tc (or so it seems).

My question to the group is how easy would it be to get this font added into the tables for my copy of dc? Have any of you added font styles to your application? I know it requires true type fonts as the standard, and I see stuff for sale to download. I've never added a font style to any application-is it difficult to do?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Clint Brooks
http://www.cbmodeldesigns.com
Hoogie,

This one is beyond me. I had hoped to find an *.ini file that made reference to the font table but none exist. I'll step down and see what others say about this. If no help is found here you might try Midnight Software, the developers of Deltacad, to help you as well.
Also, we welcome you to the group! We love the diversity of talents (as well as interests) that our fellow members are able to show of themselves through their submitted drawings. If you have any drawings to share please share them with us. Meanwhile, i'll slide back into the shadows and let someone else solve your font problem. Once again, welcome!

Chris
Sorry I've taken so long to respond here. It turns out Carl Sabanski took my plight to heart and was able to supply the font file. I had made a mistake in the request, and even then Carl still got me on track-thanks again Carl-I will plan a sundial build later this summer!

In any case, Midnight Software only advised that the application reads true type fonts. You can obtain many font styles from a variety of sources. As Carl instructed, just down load the file and place into your Windows directory in the fonts folder, and have at it. I had to restart my laptop for it to take effect, but DC read the font just like anything else. It's a big time saver for me-I no longer need to export out into another application to explode the fonts into line segments for my laser process.

Thanks again Carl, and thanks for having a forum going for DC users guys.

Clint

(02-03-2009, 09:42 PM)i44troll Wrote: Hoogie,

This one is beyond me. I had hoped to find an *.ini file that made reference to the font table but none exist. I'll step down and see what others say about this. If no help is found here you might try Midnight Software, the developers of Deltacad, to help you as well.
Also, we welcome you to the group! We love the diversity of talents (as well as interests) that our fellow members are able to show of themselves through their submitted drawings. If you have any drawings to share please share them with us. Meanwhile, i'll slide back into the shadows and let someone else solve your font problem. Once again, welcome!

Chris