Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
dimension character size
Hi! I'm new to this group and thought I'd give it a try to resolve a problem I've been having with DC. I've been learning how to use DeltaCad off and on for the past year now and am using it to design fine furniture that I build. I'm able to draft a fairly detailed drawing now, but have ran into one problem I can't solve. It has to do with the size of my dimensions when I insert them into my drawing. A message always appears that my text is too small to read, (which it is), and tells me to go to the options menu, pick the Drawing Scale and increase it. Well, I've tried that, and it never seems to help. (My drawing scale is set to 1.000.) I'm drawing a cabinet that is 29" W x 80" H. The only way I've been able to read the actual dimension when I use that function is to go to the Options Menu, choose Options, Dimensions; (Dimension Startup Options) and choose a large number such as 80 in the Height field. Is there a better way? Help!
Thank you,
Partimer
Hello Partimer, welcome to the group.

Actually, it DID work! You probably didnt redo your dimensions afterward (which is required). Here is a little trick that I do everytime I do a drawing of unusual size.....
Lets use your own dimensions, they were 29"w x80"h.

First, draw a horizontal line 29" wide, then join the end with a vertical line (up or down doesnt matter) and extend it 80". The lines will run off the page, dont worry about that at all.

Second, go to your "VIEW" tab and select the "ALL" button. This will put the lines in full view (you may not be able to see the horizontal line because it will be at the very edge of the screen, but it is there.

Third, look at the bottom of your screen where it shows the SCALE button, remember that number (with the up and down buttons on each side).

Fourth, take THAT NUMBER (should be 10.841) and go to the "OPTIONS" menu and select "DRAWING SCALE". Plug that number (10.841) into the "enter new drawing scale" prompt box.

After you select OK your drawing may reduce even further in size, this is normal. Just go to your "VIEW" tab and select the "ALL" button and it will bring it back to full view. This little trick works every time!

Just a little note..............
I normally choose drawing scale 16 when doing cabinetry, it gives satisfactory results.

Have fun! Chris
WOW!! Thank you, Chris!! That is sooo sweet!! How simple...dah!! To get the "ALL" view, I've learned to use the keys: Ctrl + A . Thanks again for your timely response! I can see that this is a great forum for asking other questions that will come up while using DC. I used to be a full time cabinetmaker about 40 years ago and am nearing retirement now, so I'm planning on delving into it again!

Take care,

Partimer
I was going to suggest you change the scale from a scale of 1. But I would have stopped there! The idea of drawing those lines full size and then letting the system figure a scale for you is brilliant though- I'd agree to pick a standard scale eg like the 16, rather than a funny like 10.8....
Partimer,

You can also select the next higher-up "standard scale", from what DeltaCad generates in the view scale or just round that number up to the next whole number.

A good practice is to use a simple drawing scale, such as 1/4", 1/2", 1", etc., so that the drawing will fit on a printed page at that scale. In this particular case 1"=1' (12) scale would work nicely and the printed drawing can be easily measured using a scale rule, if needed and if other drawing parts (I.E dimension lines, text, etc.) don't cause it to shrink the printed drawing to make it fit the page.

Also, you should note that scale on the drawing for reference as well as draw horizontal and vertical scale reference lines (see attachment). You might also want to add those "Scale References" to your Symbols library for future use.

Note: If you create multiple views in your drawing, use Select to select a given view and then choose 'Print Selected...' to print each view on a separate sheet of paper.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alright Folks!

I used the whole number (that is 10.841) as the example because I wanted Partimer to get the same results that I did when drawing the example. In reality, it really depends on the size of the drawing as to what decimal fraction you choose to use, if any.

I mentioned before that I use "16" as my drawing scale on cabinetry, or anything that is drawn within an average sized room, including the room itself. The reason I use this scale is because I like the look of my finished print when I use it, and it provides room enough for comment and additional dimensioning if needed. I also draw all lines with "thin" line weight because I like the crisp look of sharply drawn lines, however, when I draw small mechanical drawings I will do my horizontal and vertical line trick because I dont want to have to "sample" different drawing scales to get the one I like, this method works well with very small parts.
Try this.......
Draw a rectangle 1/2" wide by 1/4" tall, then "view ALL..............
Like what you see?
I dont!
Chances are, when you draw you use normal line weight, which really makes the line look heavy when it is in full view. Even if you change the line weight to "thin" your line weight remains visually "heavy".
Now, change the drawing scale to the number shown in the scale box (you should have .027 shown). When this scale is used your drawing will disappear completely, select "view all" to get it back into view. Notice, the line weight adjusts to the new scale. Like what you see? I do!

At the opposite end of the spectrum use this same technique to scale a football field (300 ft long!) Notice that Deltacads scale selection only goes up to 128, when 184 is more appropriate for dimensioning and was easily generated using this technique.

Chris
i44troll,

I don't think anyone was dissing your method. It does establish a great starting point. I think we were all just working off your method to let DeltaCad figure the exact scale to fit the drawing size and then picking a 'standard' scale to actually use that's close to what DeltaCad had calculated.

I too prefer the 'thin' line weight, as apposed to the 'normal' line weight (on the screen) for my drawings. When printed, though, the 'normal' lines just look slightly darker and still print 'crisply', unlike the big difference represented on the screen, especially when zoomed in to a small area.
Boss,

I didnt think anyone was dissing me Smile, just thought people were way over concerned about the use of decimal fractionsDodgy, that's all. Decimal fractions are needed when dealing with very small drawings, and not needed at all in large drawings, but this would be more clearly seen as users switch from drawing furniture to, say, jewelry.

I must correct something that I mentioned in the previous posting. I said "......Notice that Deltacads scale selection only goes up to 128......" When it actually goes up to 500! Scale is listed in two areas on that page, while some numbers are listed as "the ratio of a foot" others are just listed by "even tenths or hundredths". Sorry for the misrepresentation.

Chris
Oh, Okay Blush I agree that when drawing something very small, a fractional (point something) drawing scale would be the way to go.

Actually, DeltaCad will allow a maximum scale value of 1000 (manually entered). In my case, I can create and view a horizontal line that's a little over 1026' (feet) long, when the View scale=1 & the Drawing scale=1000. Of course one can always increase the View scale, to a maximum of 10 in this case, to 'see' much more. Quite handy when creating large landscape/building plans.

Obviously you would never want to print such a large drawing at 'Full Scale" unless you have a very large printer and/or lots of paper and gallons of ink. Wink

On the low side, DeltaCad will allow a minimum Drawing scale of 0.01 and a minimum Viewing scale of 0.1
Hey guys, thanks for all of your input. I'll try some of your suggestions when I have more time! (I do like the idea of using a "Thin" line instead of "Normal", because of the reasons you mentioned! I'll have to try it! Thx!)

I do have a question regarding the method Chris suggested of inserting the number from the SCALE button into the Opts/Drawing Scale; into the "enter new drawing scale" prompt box. The dimensions are so large now on the drawing before and after I print it out. I've tried decreasing the # I insert in the "new drawing scale" prompt box" to 16 and also 5, but that doesn't seem to help any. What am I doing wrong?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Issue Dimension - Angle - No visual dimension lines displayed! rodalsa 5 2,615 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rodalsa
  Edit > Special Character PFSuser 3 2,393 08-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO