Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploded view
I'm using a drawing scale of 64 to draw a shed. I want to show enlarged views of particular details on the same page. Possible?
dbcriss,

Welcome to the group!
You most definately are able to magnify a section of your drawing.
All of the features you need to use will be found under the "select" TAB.
-select the area you want to enlarge (using one of the two "select" buttons)
-activate the "copy" button (it will turn red when activated)
-use the "move" button to duplicate the area and move it to a location away from any other parts of you drawing (you can place it better after you finish enlarging it) click one time to anchor the copied section.
-the copied section should still be reddened to show that it is still active.
-deactivate the copy mode by clicking on "copy" once again. (if it remains red it is still active, please make sure that this is OFF from this point on)
-click the "Sc" (scale) button and type in a number greater than 1. It is better to start small, a little goes a long way! I would choose the decimal fraction 1.1 to enlarge it by 10%.
-now everytime you press the enter key or the mouse button you will enlarge the drawing by that amount.

I normally draw a circle around the magnified area and then trim all of the lines to the circle, then draw an arrow from that circle to the original location to show the location selected for magnification.

check out "The Bosses" drawing of "DD's Pavillion" located here. You may find it useful for this particular drawing. (note: drawing scale for the pavillion is 16, makes for better dimensioning) You can download the actual Deltacad drawing by clicking on the drawing title. (clicking on the drawing thumbnail will only give you a quick image view).

hope this helps,

i44troll
Two more questions on exploded views. How do I trim the lines outside of the circle? It either wants to erase the entire line, or won't let me select the circle as part of the 'make corner' function.

And, I was going to add more details to my drawing after I made the exploded view, but I see when I apply dimensions what was once a 2x6 is now a 8x20. Can I explode a view, add details, and keep the same relative dimensions?

Thanks, David

(08-23-2009, 11:11 PM)i44troll Wrote: dbcriss,

Welcome to the group!
You most definitely are able to magnify a section of your drawing.
All of the features you need to use will be found under the "select" TAB.
-select the area you want to enlarge (using one of the two "select" buttons)
-activate the "copy" button (it will turn red when activated)
-use the "move" button to duplicate the area and move it to a location away from any other parts of you drawing (you can place it better after you finish enlarging it) click one time to anchor the copied section.
-the copied section should still be reddened to show that it is still active.
-deactivate the copy mode by clicking on "copy" once again. (if it remains red it is still active, please make sure that this is OFF from this point on)
-click the "Sc" (scale) button and type in a number greater than 1. It is better to start small, a little goes a long way! I would choose the decimal fraction 1.1 to enlarge it by 10%.
-now everytime you press the enter key or the mouse button you will enlarge the drawing by that amount.

I normally draw a circle around the magnified area and then trim all of the lines to the circle, then draw an arrow from that circle to the original location to show the location selected for magnification.

check out "The Bosses" drawing of "DD's Pavillion" located here. You may find it useful for this particular drawing. (note: drawing scale for the pavillion is 16, makes for better dimensioning) You can download the actual Deltacad drawing by clicking on the drawing title. (clicking on the drawing thumbnail will only give you a quick image view).

hope this helps,

i44troll
David,

To trim your lines choose "slide an endpoint" instead of "create a corner" (within the EDIT tab), you can then "snap" to the circumference of the circle. This will work for lines as well as arcs.
For the solution to the second question you have two solutions.........
1) select the dimensions along with your drawing before you scale it, that way it stays the same throughout the whole magnification process.
2) place your dimensions after you enlarge your drawing, then go to the "edit" TAB and select "E" (for edit), click on the dimension and edit the text outcome yourself.

hope this helps,

Chris