Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Video Tutorials
Hi i44troll,

You have been busy! Smile Fifteen video tutorials, if I counted correctly, since your first one a month or so ago...

I just watched your second video tutorial - the one on setting drawing scale - and it is very interesting.

Living where I do, I nearly always use a drawing scale of 25.4 (millimetres) or 2.54 (centimetres) but I still get problems with text scaling now and then. So I'll be thinking about your suggestions as they apply to my scales.

You see your tutorials make people think, which is never a bad thing Wink

By the way (I don't know whether you mentioned this) you can use the SPACEBAR to pause / continue the video tutorials which is easier than using the mouse I find.

I'm looking forward to viewing the other tutorials as and when I have time - thanks for making them available...

Dick.
Hey Scribbler,

Thanks for the tip on the 'space bar to pause' short cut. I'll add that hint to the "rules" box. Wink

Yep, even 'little' tips like that are recognized, here. I'm sure it will help everyone now and in the future, I'm sure. Thanks again for pointing that out and reminding us that some simple keyboard short-cuts can still come in pretty handy. Smile

I also agree with you that i44troll has been very busy pumping out all those good video tutorials. I've found them quite enlightening myself, actually, and I expect I'll be referring back to them from time-to-time.

BTW, I anticipate an award - but I would prefer to present only one for the "'Best' Video Tutorial" (most helpful as it were) - any hints as to which that might be? I can't decide 'cause I think they're all equally helpful to me. Rolleyes
Thanks Dick,

Once I got used to the Camstatia software it was pretty easy to do. I have several more to do but they are more lengthy and will require a bit more thought and preparation. Thanks for the tip on the spacebar! I've actually tried to slow down while recording just so people can keep up with the production, but you never know just how much to delay in certain areas until you start adding the annotiations and find yourself running out of time! If you have any ideas on future videos let me know.

Thanks again,

Chris
Hey guys!

I really like the tutorials!! So far I've used these two tutorials:
Establishing XY Positions and the tutorial on how to design raised panel doors...FAST!! I'm now working on that one more to be used in the future!!
The one re. Setting an Absolute Base Point really cleared up a lot of questions I've had in the past when I've tried to copy and move a particular view to another place on the drawing! Previously I had to estimate how far over I needed to set my coordinates...sometimes I had to do that 4 or 5 times before I got it right! Now all I need to do is set the Base Point first and then go from there! Great!!
I joined the forum only a few minutes ago, and there in the Tutorials section was the answer to a DeltaCad annoyance - 'Filling irregular shapes with color'. Thank you for these excellent Tutorials, i44troll. I'll be working through some of the others, especially the Absolute Base Point mentioned above.

DeltaCad is excellent. I use it for mechanical design, magazine illustration, and all sorts of other things down to Scrabble score sheets!

I've lurked here for a while, and it seems a shame that Midnight Software won't participate in the Forum.

John
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear you found an answer to your problem so quickly and in so pleasant a way as by sitting back and watching one of Chris' excellent tutorials. I think they're a great way to learn.Smile

I agree with you that it's a shame there is no feedback from Midnight, especially when everyone is so enthusiastic about their product.Sad

It sounds as though you might have some interesting drawings to show us??? Smile.

Regards,
Dick Summerfield (aka Scribbler)
Welcome to the group, John.

Yes, i44troll's video tutorials are a great addition and asset to this site. I can't thank him enough for doing that. They also seem to have generated quite a surge in new forum registrations & activity over the past couple of months, which is also pretty sweet. Tongue

I had invited Midnight to join the forums when I originally created this site. Unfortunately they graciuosly declined stating that they didn't want to be associated with "a file sharing site" due to potential copyright issues. They did, however, give me their blessings with this endeavor.

Perhaps someday they'll take notice of the potential plus-side for them to promote & support DeltaCad through our forums from time-to-time. After all, they can always include a disclaimer on their signature line stating that this site is neither owned nor operated by them.

I would also be more than glad to create a forum section specifically for technical support, feature requests & comments.

We can only hope that eventually someone from Midnight Software Inc. will sign-up here.
I can understand their point of view. They certainly do keep a low profile, though, and don't do themselves justice. DeltaCad is a fine product at a bargain price and will do (in my limited experience - I've tried both) everything that TurboCad will do 2D-wise, yet they are little known in comparison and their website is drab and old-fashioned and has very poor examples of what can be done with DeltaCad.

The surprising thing about DeltaCad is that at first sight it seems very limited, but as you get to know it, and start to use a bit of lateral thinking, it proves to be very versatile indeed and very quick to use. It has some rough edges. I would like to see some visual representation of the Z-order at any one place. Save to other formats, in particular PDF, would be useful. At present it's necessary to 'print' to something such as CutePDF. I would like colour fill to be easier to use, such as having the ability to fill any bounded space but perhaps that's not possible with a vector-based CAD program.

John
Hello to whomever is helping us tonight! After reading all the comments about the videos, I'm very excited to view them. However, I don't seem to have the software installed to see them. What sw do I need?
Partimer,

Are you not able to view the tutorials any more, you made a comment on December 4th, 2009 in this same thread that you had already watched two tutorials? If you are not able to view them you may need to update your browser, but you should be able to view them. Did you go to the video tutorials page?