Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
how do you make radi easy?
Hi all. A newbee here. I am a machinist and bought a cnc mill now I am trying to figure out how to draw and export to cad to make g code.
I am getting too old to learn I think. This seems so hard to teach myself.
I am having a heck of a time trying to put a radius on corners. I played with solid edge and it is super easy but I have lots of other problems but I can make radi!.
What am I missing here? It cant be hard. It seems like I have to manually figure out each x and y piont.This is taking tooo long.. Thanks Alot. Jim
Welcome to the group, "biglathedog". Smile

I'll get back to you on this tomorrow, unless one of the others beat me to it by then.
(10-30-2009, 05:54 PM)The Boss Wrote: Welcome to the group, "biglathedog". Smile

I'll get back to you on this tomorrow, unless one of the others beat me to it by then.

Ill be waiting anxiously. Thanks!
Jim,

Are you just learning G&M Code, or are you a CNC Machinist by trade? What CNC Mill have you purchased? Is it a commercial mill?

I use Deltacad to teach G&M code in my classes but I think you are looking for a CAM program to generate G&M code without having to manually write it out, is that correct? If so a CAD program, such as Deltacad, is not the answer to your problem, however, there are ways to generate G-code from DXF files that Deltacad does generate, here is a link that lists a few dxf to G-code generators. In my opinion this type of output is a little risky, since there is no simulated verification.

If your machine can do "subs" (M97 or M98 subroutine/subprogram calls) you are better off programming by hand anyway because your programs would be much shorter and easier to edit. I will be adding a CNC training course shortly and will include many helpful features that can benefit new programmers (like starting templates, etc.) You may find that beneficial.

Meanwhile, you may want to elaborate a little more on the "radii" problem, I am having a little difficulty understanding the problem you are having. Are you not able to create radius corners? Simple fix! Draw two lines that connect at one end then go to the "edit" tab and select "create a corner", then left click on one line then the other, enter the desired radius, then press "enter" or right click once to create the corner.

Chris
Hi Chris.

Ok some more infro. I have been a manual machinist for 25 years. Have no cnc experience.Never touched one till I bought this one!Just looked like it would be fun..

I bought a Bridgeport ridged ram Boss 6.I did a complete referb of all electronics.New drives,steppers,wiring, an ac drive and running it off a PC using Mach 3.Boy this has been a learning experience! I hope to get to run it before I die! Hehehe.
I want to draw and then export to cad to make g code.I have been studying all the codes and practicing a little.I suck basicly...never had a lick of guidance.Super slow if you know what I mean.

I asked son to lend a little help.He found some kind of converter to take a drawing and make g code.I havent tried that.

I would love to take some classes but I am a traveling machinist now.Wasnt when I bought the mill.I never know when I will travel so classes are not an option. That has made things hard.I am gone for several weeks and home for a few days.Home a lot in the summer tho.

I didnt try to add a radi using your method. I couldnt find that in the instructions.That sounds like it is much simpler than figuring the x and y points by hand!

Thanks for helping.Much appreciated. Jim
That worked! that is how solid edge worked. One step down.I knew there had to be a simple way. Thanks..

Jim
i44troll came to the rescue, which I figured he would. (Thanks i44troll.)

You might want to check out www.cncinformation.com which is an extremely informative site on CNCing and all aspects relating to it.

Be warned, you'll want to be sure to have lots of time set aside to browse around on that site as it's chuck full of all sorts of great info for, videos and e-book offers. I've spent many hours there myself. Tongue
Ok, I'm back!......had to do the Halloween thing!

Jim, one more thing....

Does your machine have a 2 1/2 axis? (your "Z" must be moved manually) and.....I am assuming that there is no tool changer as well.

I'll just get started on my CNC tutorials earlier than I expected.

Chris

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unsure how to make a new meter dial face Timmy333 2 318 07-13-2022, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Timmy333