Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving objects with the Ctrl or shft and arrows
If I try to position a grouped object with the Ctrl/arrows keys, it makes a new copy with each movement. To get it to work I have to ungroup the object, move it and then regroup it. Is there a way to move a grouped object precisely?
You can set a base-point on the grouped objects and place a snap-point presicley where that base point should be moved to.

However, it is much more precise to use a mousing type device, with the drawing zoomed-in, to make such precision placement easier. Simply hold the mouse button down until it is exactly where you want it moved to.

IMO, using the keyboard arrow keys to move an object in any drawing program is hit-or-miss at best, when precision is needed. It's also very inefficient and rather frustrating, in my experience.

With that said, it raises the question as to why you are not using a mouse or other similar 'pointer control' device?
(11-27-2009, 09:18 AM)crockjd Wrote: If I try to position a grouped object with the Ctrl/arrows keys, it makes a new copy with each movement. To get it to work I have to ungroup the object, move it and then regroup it. Is there a way to move a grouped object precisely?

Hi David,

What I don't understand about this problem of yours is that you say you use Ctrl/arrow keys to move an object. As far as I know the only function of the Ctrl/arrow keys combination, is to scroll your view of the drawing area in the direction of the arrow chosen. It does not move any objects relative to others - only what part you see of the drawing.

The way to move objects (grouped or not) with the keyboard is to select what you want to move, click on the move selected objects button and use the arrow keys (no Ctrl! Smile ) to move the stuff. If at this point you have the Copy button depressed - you will get the behaviour you mention - a new copy with each movement - which is not often what you want.

As The Boss says, precise movements are best done by setting a base-point and using the mouse to drag the selected object to a snap-point. This can be done with groups too. The arrow keys method is useful for, say, moving whole objects to a better/handier place in the drawing but not for construction where accuracy is needed.

I'd be interested to know how you get on and perhaps to see some of those toy train drawings sometime... I'm into playing trains myself Smile.

Scribbler