Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How to measure line length in DeltaCAD?
Hello all,

How can I measure line length without have to draw a parallel line next to the original?

Thanks in advance.
FerociousCAD,

First let me welcome you to the group and thank you for the kind comment you made on YouTube on my "screen size" tutorial. It was well appreciated.Smile

Now to answer your question.....

First, Go to the "dimension" tab to view the available options (icons, or toolbar buttons). Each of these available buttons allow you to place dimension lines on any lines in your drawing, however, the icon must be chosen based upon the orientation of these lines, arcs, and circles that you want to dimension. In other words, if you wish to draw a dimensional line to show the length of a horizontal line you MUST choose the "draw a horizontal dimension" button for this task as no other button is capable of performing this task. The best way to learn the role of each button is to first SELECT THE BUTTON, then press "F1". When "F1" is pressed a short explanation and drawing will appear to help you understand it clearer. "F1" will work with all other toolbar buttons as well, so dont be afraid to use it often as it is a great help to those just starting out.

One more thing....

If you look at the bottom left of the screen while you are using Deltacad
you will find that it will give you a short summary on how to use the current function you are using, "F1" simply expands the help on that function.

Hope this helps! Big Grin

Chris "i44troll"
"......How can I measure line length without have to draw a parallel line next to the original?........"

Alternatively you can open the "edit" tab and choose the "edit object data" button (Deltacad chooses that button by default), select the line you want to know the length of and read the dialog box that pops up. It will tell you EVERYTHING about that line and give you the ability to make changes to it as well.

Chris
OMG... that is too easy! Thanks Chris! I was trying to located that in the help file under measurement or ruler without any luck and I printed the PDF users guide until page #94, right before the Dimension chapter starts (page 95)... I'll do a search of the PDF in the future first.

Big Grin
Oh wow, "FerociuosCAD",

Sorry about suggesting to print the users manual, but hey you only had 176 more pages to go. LOL Wink

Actually the only reason I even mention that is because some people find it easier to reference a printed manual rather than having to open and search an 'on-line' document. BTW, the user's manual is basically a duplicate of the Help file which is accessible and search-able from within DeltaCad in the Help Menu.

FYI, the F1 key has always been referred to as the "Help Key" since the days of yore. Why the keyboard manufacturers don't print the word "HELP" on it, who knows. I've seen it on some but it's still not a standard practice to do that. -- should be, though...hmm? Dodgy

----------
Anyway, I'll make a new post in 'Hints and Tips' regarding the printing of the users manual a little later today. (I have some other stuff to get done first.) -- Sparky, you can post one on the use & convenience of the F1 key, if you want to.
I prefer to have the paper in my hands... Maybe with an iPad that would change... LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educate me... Draw specific arc length at sspecified radius williamj 2 1,633 08-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Last Post: williamj
  Entering a line length using feet/inches mstone 4 2,854 03-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: mstone
  Measure Object? (re-posted from Email) Admin 1 2 3,539 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Last Post: i44troll