Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CAD Drawing Etiquette?
Question 
Is there any drawing etiquette (posting scale, dimensions, notes, etc) when submitting CAD drawings to a manufacturing shop?

example:

Back in the day when I took Autocad courses we had three main concerns...

1) Print must contain all the necessary information that is required to produce the part.
2) Dimension lines must not be in positions that could confuse the reader into thinking they were object lines
3) Be careful not to "double dimension", that is, adding dimensions to a part of your drawing that has already been dimensioned. The dimensions themselves would not be the problem here but the associated tolerances
Question 
Thanks i44troll,

I have the sample bracket drawing I made this weekend. Is this acceptable to submit to a shop? I need to specify the thickness of the alloy for parts to be cut but I also require welding together. Trying to understand all I need to do.

Huh

You still have way too much information left out (radius, angular, and hole locations mostly), however, if you take it to a small shop with cnc milling equipment you can save the file as a dxf file and they can import your drawing directly into CAM without the hassle of having a print. Of course, that does not negate the need for a print to check the actual dimensions of the part produced.
You should also put a note on the drawing indicating what the dimension numbers represent such as, "All dimensions are in inches" (or centimeters or millimeters, as the case may be).

Hint: To find the circle centers quickly, you can use the "MrkCircleCntr" Macro file <available here>
i44troll & The Boss, thanks for the feedback. I'll post an updated drawing later with dimension to make sure everything is covered.