Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The curious case of 'Snap to Center'
Select 'Snap to Nearest Point'. The sub-functions 'Snap to Center' and 'Snap to Midpoint' appear.

Draw a line (any direction). Select 'Draw a Point'. Click on 'Snap to Midpoint' (bottom right of display). Click twice on the line and the point is placed correctly in the middle of the line.

Draw a circle. Select 'Draw a Point'. Click on 'Snap to Center' (bottom right of display). Click twice on the circle. I would expect the point to be put at the center of the circle, but it isn't. Instead, the point is put on the circumference of the circle.

Now try any other drawing tool using 'Snap to Center'. They all find the center and start at it. For example, Line, Circle and Text all locate to the center and work as expected.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Regards
John
John,

As usual you have found an anomaly in Deltacad, since the help file does not include placing points on objects in that way you should be so lucky for it to work at all! Here's one for you, since you are looking to snap to the center of the circle, try this.....

draw a circle /select the "draw a point" tab / select "draw all points in an object" / click anywhere on the circle..... a point will be placed in the center of the circle but nowhere on the "object line" of the circle. You would think that the point would be placed at 0
Hello Chris

Ah, back in the dark, mysterious land of 'undocumented features', the last wilderness left on Earth. Even found one in the microwave oven the other day.

I use 'draw all points...' to achieve the aim of putting a point in the centre, as you suggest, but was curious to know if I'd really found a flaw in DeltaCad's beautiful logic.

Regards
John
Have you tried "CLYDSDALE"'s "MrkCircleCntr" macro posted on 04/17/08 on the Mark Circle Center?

I've found that it not only finds circle centers, but it also finds arc centers. The trick is knowing which 'center mark' you want to use.
Thanks Boss - I'll give it a try.

John
Just a thought. For circles, because they are draw with a single point and a radial displacement, might D-CAD think of that as the "point" and the circumference as the "object". Not intuitive coming from AutoCAD (a long time ago).
Ahh....but thats the point, circles are not always drawn using a known radius! In fact, most of the function icons used to draw circles don't require you to know the location of the center of the circle at all! Only two functions require you to use the arc center as your initial base point.

Chris "i44troll'
Here we go again! More Point anomalies. If it's past your bedtime, this will help you sleep.

Select 'Snap to Nearest Point'. The sub-functions 'Snap to Center' and 'Snap to Midpoint' appear.

Draw a line (any direction). Select 'Draw a Point'. Select 'Snap to Center' (note: of a circle). Click twice on the line. The point is placed at the midpoint of the line.

Draw a circle. Select 'Draw a Point'. Select 'Snap to Center'. Click twice on the circle. The point is placed at 000 degrees on the circumference (as previously described).
Now do the same, without selecting 'Snap to Center'. The point is placed at 270 degrees on the circumference. If you were to consider it remotely useful, you could now construct a right angle at the center of the circle.

Draw an ellipse. Select 'Draw a Point'. Select 'Snap to Center'. Click twice on the ellipse. A point is placed on the circumference, either on the minor or major axis, apparently depending on which happens to be nearest to 000 degrees. This one could actually be useful, as 'Draw all points in an object' only finds the center point of an ellipse.

Regards
John
Quote:Here we go again! More Point anomalies

Ha! I read that thinking you said "POINTLESS" anomalies. I was getting ready to say "What? Are you kidding John? We LIVE for pointless anomalies!" Bahahaha
I'd point you in the right direction, but there's no point. I've scored a point, anyway.

Regards
John