Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Framing details

I'm doing plans for construction permits. How do you draw a stud wall w/o having to draw each element individually? It's going to be 2x4s on 16"OC.

I can draw one, copy it, but pasting it is guess work. Can I use snap to drop it right where I want it? if so, how?

Thanks,
Dave ....
Skubala,

If you draw your first stud (two lines 1 1/2" apart) you can "select" the two lines, click on the "copy" icon (also located under the "select" tab), and paste it by clicking on the "move selected objects" icon and typing 16,0 then "enter" on your keyboard. These two numbers represent X and Y coordinates so they MUST be separated by a comma. By typing in these numbers you are asking Deltacad to copy the selected lines and move them "16" inches to the right (the "X" coordinate) and "0" inches up or down (the "Y" coordinate), NO SNAPPING is required. If you want to add more studs just "right click" on your mouse OR press the "enter" key on your keyboard for every additional stud placed 16 inches from the last. You should be able to reason from this that if you change the 16 to a 24 that you will move the stud 24 inches instead of 16 inches, and if you type a negative value for your "X" coordinate your stud placement will place your studs to the left instead of the right.

Alternatively....

There are several different ways to accomplish this, including the option of creating wall "sections" as symbol files so you just pick the section and paste it to create the length of your wall, a pretty cool idea i think if you plan to do this alot.

Chri "i44troll"
Thanks, Chris. Works like a charm. Used the rectangle "shape" for the studs in elevation view. I built a 3-stud corner "group" with spacers that I copied using the same method. I'm getting the hang of it, I think. The base point feature is invaluable.

I have my plot plan and "footprint" done - that just shows orientation on the property, outline of proposed addition and clearances to lot lines and easements.

The layout for the framing elevations is what I needed the copy/move command for. Those are ready to have window details added.

Next will be the detailed floor plan w/ the addition/remodel in it. Getting there. My building dept. has been very helpful in commenting on what they need without having to do a formal submittal - no building going on so they have the time. I'll make a "wall" layer and copy that to two more sheets for my plumbing and electrical details.

I just bought a registered copy so I'm flush with enthusiasm. I have 10 days off and hope to do all my drawings on my laptop, sitting on the beach. Don't be too jealous, CA central coast.

Thanks again,
Dave ....
(11-06-2010, 03:40 PM)Skubala Wrote: I have 10 days off and hope to do all my drawings on my laptop, sitting on the beach. Don't be too jealous, CA central coast.

I grew up in Northern California, favorite coastal areas were at Patricks Point and Fort Bragg. Many fond camping memories as a kid.

Chris "i44troll"

(11-05-2010, 11:02 PM)i44troll Wrote: Skubala,

If you draw your first stud (two lines 1 1/2" apart) you can "select" the two lines, click on the "copy" icon (also located under the "select" tab), and paste it by clicking on the "move selected objects" icon and typing 16,0 then "enter" on your keyboard. These two numbers represent X and Y coordinates so they MUST be separated by a comma. By typing in these numbers you are asking Deltacad to copy the selected lines and move them "16" inches to the right (the "X" coordinate) and "0" inches up or down (the "Y" coordinate), NO SNAPPING is required. If you want to add more studs just "right click" on your mouse OR press the "enter" key on your keyboard for every additional stud placed 16 inches from the last. You should be able to reason from this that if you change the 16 to a 24 that you will move the stud 24 inches instead of 16 inches, and if you type a negative value for your "X" coordinate your stud placement will place your studs to the left instead of the right.

Alternatively....

There are several different ways to accomplish this, including the option of creating wall "sections" as symbol files so you just pick the section and paste it to create the length of your wall, a pretty cool idea i think if you plan to do this alot.

Chri "i44troll"

Thank you! This was a fantastic time saver.
Will

Hello Will

Welcome to the Group.

In addition to the example you've tried, I can recommend the Tutorials presented by Chris (i44troll). He makes DeltaCad sing!

Regards
John (jw48)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I get full details of a drawing to appear peter17 2 2,147 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Last Post: peter17