Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Group" Layering Malfunction (answer to this problem REVEALED!)
Now this is something that John "jw48" would normally find, but it caught me by surprise this morning so I'll try to report it later today with Midnight software.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently when you group objects and send them to different layers they will change to that layer but remain invisible in that layer (they ARE in that layer but are not seen). In fact, if you turn on individual layers from top to bottom you wont SEE the object anywhere! (even though it is there) However, as soon as you turn on ALL layers the object reappears. If you click on the object in "edit" you will see that it is listed as being in the layer you placed it in. Now, if you "ungroup" those objects and send them to a different layer they WILL show up in that layer, no problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Time for a new patch! I'll address this thread when the problem is fixed, or if I have made a silly stupid mistake and have found the solution.

Chris "i44troll"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1/28/2011
From the Midnight Software team

"For an object in a group to be visible, the group insert object must be on a
layer that is turned on, and also the layer of all the objects inside the
group must be turned on.

Sincerely yours,

Midnight Software, Inc."

This has been tried and proven! Thanks for the prompt response!

Chris "144troll"

Confirmed. A group should behave like a single entity in every way, I would expect, but when I made a group and a single entity in the same drawing, the group behaved as you describe but the single entity remained visible.

Chris, I'll be sending you my well-used deerstalker - you deserve to wear it as a crown for this one.

Regards
John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John, you KILL me!

Hey! You should use that image for your Avatar, it suits you well! Big Grin

Can't ignore a challenge!

John
Do you know, I had trouble with Groups when I was getting to grips with DeltaCad and more or less abandoned using the feature. Groups seemed quirky and difficult so I stopped trying to use them. With hindsight, perhaps it was this very glitch which created problems in understanding Groups.

John
"For an object in a group to be visible, the group insert object must be on a
layer that is turned on, and also the layer of all the objects inside the
group must be turned on."

Sincerely yours,

Midnight Software, Inc.

In my opinion, if it's worth anything at all, I would make it where the groups layer would dominate over any layer created by individual objects. But then again, the ability to "un-group" objects enhances this software as does it's ability to maintain original object layer settings. The trick, then, is to make sure you draw all of these entities in one layer so that they are all included when you view them. Still, it's going to be hard to keep the correct layers on unless you think of some system to simplify this. Hey, at least were more educated, right?

Chris "i44troll'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vista Users and Layering Problems i44troll 2 3,582 11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Last Post: crockjd