Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Color Shade Selection
When drawing electrical circuits I've used shades of color to show the various circuits. My question occurred when I need to modify the DC diagram. Determining which shade of color I used was troublesome. Is there a tip/trick to remembering or figuring out which shade was used?

RandyN
Randy,

If you're in edit mode click on the object shape, then the color you either want to change or identify. The original selection will be magnified on the color pallet so that you know which one was originally selected.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish that we had more control over the colors and shading of deltacad. The discussions have come up in the past that members would like to see custom hatching abilities and the like, but Midnight software did not reply in favor of it. Well, that doesn't stop us from being able to do what we need to do anyway, and I'm just thankful that they still choose to keep things simple and to-the-point.

hope that helps you

Chris "i44troll"
Thanks Chris for the response. The method you outlined is what I did. When there are many colors, such as the diagram I was doing, the work just doesn't flow very nicely.

RandyN
RandyN,

What you could do is create a 'circuit color reference chart' drawing that would have your commonly used colors in a small text-sized filled box. Also include the column/row of that color, as shown in the color selection window so that the same color/shade is always used. Then give it a 'typical usage name' such as, "Main Power", "12v", "5v", "GND/Common", etc.

Print that reference chart and keep it handy so that all of your drawings will basically be 'standardized'. As you add other circuit color definitions, you only need to add those to the chart drawing and print the revised chart.

Eventually, I expect, you'll begin to memorize which color is typically used for what without always having to reference your chart.

Also, a good habit to get into, would be to include a similar 'reference chart' within your circuit drawings, as there can be a very noticeable difference between printed and on-screen color shades.

Green is a good example of that since Green is a 'true color' on a monitor, but is a mix of blue/yellow and possibly a smidgen of other colors, depending on your printer's interpretation of "true green", when printed.
-- That's also why I suggest including the column/row of a color on your chart.

If possible, please submit some of your circuit drawings for posting. We haven't had any new shared drawings for quite awhile. If you have a collection of schematic symbols, not already included in DeltaCad, please submit those for posting too. Wink

Thanks for posting your questions & requests and giving us 'something to do'. Tongue

Chris - "The Boss"

I might add that there have been times that I have colored objects AFTER creating all solid objects. What I mean is I would create the solid with all light blue background everywhere there was a need for solid colors, then go back and use my "Copy Object Properties" button from the EDIT tab, select a color to use, and click on all the solid areas that required one color, which instantly changed the fill to the color selected. That saves a lot of time.

The Boss is right, we need to see your drawings as well.................and yeah, thanks for giving us something to do!

Chris "i44troll"
Thanks guys for the ideas.

I'd thought about using a matrix of some sort but hadn't fleshed the idea out. I've finished most of the electrical drawings for the present project but will experiment, using your ideas, when I do another revision. Also, I'll try BBFisk's idea of a

Attached Files
.pdf   Master Diagram 1of6.pdf (Size: 105.01 KB / Downloads: 23)
.pdf   Dash Photographs 1of2.pdf (Size: 555.35 KB / Downloads: 16)
I found your King Midget YouTube videos. Pretty neat car, never heard of them.
My uncle use to build Hot Rods, dragsters, and rebuild antique cars in PalmDale about 10 years ago.
Not many King Midgets around so I created the videos to help out other people. DeltaCad has been an important part in restoring my car. I used the DC wiring diagram just the other day to fix a friend's KM. And I also used DC to create the drawings for this book which can been seen at: Club Special Drawing

The LA County drag strip was very popular but has since been closed down.