Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trouble With Symbols
Hi all. Yes, I'm still alive. Cool
I'm having trouble adding symbols to my drawings. First of all, the computer I use at work died, so I'm on an older computer temporarily, which is running XP, until my new one comes in. I'm using version 7 with the latest patch. What I'm finding is this: When I create a new file, no matter what drawing scale, when I try to add a symbol, it doesn't work. What I also found is that if I open existing files I've had for years and add a symbol, it works. Would anyone have a clue for this one? I've never seen this before. I will play around a little more and see what else may be going on.

Edit: I made a mistake saying that "no matter what drawing scale". It does work at drawing scale 1.00. If I scale the drawing in any way, the symbol shows up as junk. EX: If I scale it to 1/4"=1', add the symbol, then zoom way in on it, I see nothing resembling the symbol. If I remember correctly, symbols show up no matter what drawing scale I use. At least that's how I remember it.

Kevin
Sparky! Long time no see!

I remember submitting symbol files for public download that actually came back corrupt after downloading... for whatever reason. Since there are no options given for symbols, other than changing the default symbol start-up location, I could only conclude that the symbol file itself is corrupt. If you had to re-download the symbol files (those that you created and uploaded to DCUG) to re-install them on your present (temporary) computer I would suggest that one of us do the same to test the integrity of the file.

Let me serve as your lab rat.......

The next step will be for me to download the symbol file and try it on my system. Since you originally uploaded two electrical schematic symbol files ("L" and "C"), I'll need to have you be more specific as to which symbol file was used, and more specifically, which individual symbol to test. (even though there may be more than one).

If you did not re-download your symbol files, but instead had them archived at some other location then YOU need to download the symbol files from DCUG to see if your archived files are corrupt..

Regards

Chris
Sparky,

If you still have those files, I'll be glad to post them on a non-public page on our site. Sent via E-mail to me. (DO NOT use my post EMAIL button becaus that won't work!) Since you've been gone, there's been many changes. Please do browse-around and catch-up! - THX

I/We have been missing you. Tongue
Thanks guys. Chris, I still have the files. Part of the reason I haven't been around much is because I haven't used DC that much lately and, when I do, it's with electrical diagrams that I need to update, without a problem. The thing I've noticed is when I scale a drawing, it just doesn't work. I guess what it comes down to is, I don't think I ever ran into this problem before, but then, why would I? I don't scale drawings normally. In today's case, I need to, then discovered my symbols don't work, at work, or at home. That pisses me off. I don't have much time right now, which is another reason I haven't been here, but I would like to know what the deal is. I'll be sure to check back in. What's cool in my book, is the fact that there really is no other place to ask this question. Believe me, I tried. Cheers!
Quote: I don't scale drawings normally. In today's case, I need to, then discovered my symbols don't work, at work, or at home

If the problem is present at home as well you probably have a corrupt file. I had no problem scaling your symbols on my system. Try creating a new sample symbol and scaling it. Let's see if that does the same thing. Of course there's always re-installation and re-booting that usually solves a majority of problems but then we are talking about two different computers that imitate the same problem. My prognosis is that you have a corrupt file, given that it is not remedied by using a different computer
(07-06-2011, 09:49 PM)i44troll Wrote: If the problem is present at home as well you probably have a corrupt file. I had no problem scaling your symbols on my system. Try creating a new sample symbol and scaling it. Let's see if that does the same thing. Of course there's always re-installation and re-booting that usually solves a majority of problems but then we are talking about two different computers that imitate the same problem. My prognosis is that you have a corrupt file, given that it is not remedied by using a different computer
Interesting. Ok, so I tried using this default DC symbol at 1/4"=1' for the hell of it:

Here is what it looks like when I zoom into it:

Is this what happens for you?

Ok, now I see the problem! I originally thought that the problem was happening when you zoomed into your symbol, but that is not the problem. The problem is that the line weight is being scaled along with the view scale. Deltacad was retaining the "viewable" thickness of the line regardless of the scale making the lines and arcs so thick that they overtake the symbol.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Select the "No" radio button on the "Scale with view scale" located at options/drawing data menu.

Problem Solved!

Cheers!
Chris
Chris, you are the man! Thanks a bunch!
Yes he is, "Sparky".

I just gave this thread a 5-Star rating because of "i44troll's" answer. Big Grin

It's another one of those 'elusive' settings in DeltaCad that most users wouldn't think to 'hunt down'.

-- More in this "Hints and Tips" thread --
(You read my mind, "i44troll". Smile)

It's weird. I never knew about that setting. Most likely because I don't ever remember having to use symbols on any drawing other than 1.00 scale. Good to know for sure.