Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How about a thread for useful formulas?
To "the Boss" and others who value this site,

I hesitated to make this suggestion as it may or may not be considered a DeltaCad related theme, however, I know from experience with other sites that when a person depends on a site to supply needed information that may be difficult to find they will always come back. I have quite a bit of information that is machining oriented and some woodworking that would be beneficial to have, and took a great deal of time to prepare and I am willing to share my work in this area.
I would have normally sent this as a private message but want to know from others what they feel about it as well.
Because I use this software in my everyday work I consider it a "tool in my drawer" so-to-speak, taking the place of many time consuming trigonometry calculations.
Pardon me if I am trying to step out-of-bounds into unrelated territory, I am simply asking for feedback.
-------------------------------------------------------
John encouraged me through a private message to "keep my spirit up" when he noticed that many of our efforts in helping others were not openly appreciated. I assured him that I do benefit from helping others even if I never hear a "thank-you" from those who asked to be helped in the first place. I reminded him of the "How to Draw True Threads" tutorial that I created in response to a plea by a member who signed on and never returned. The tutorial took me a week to prepare but was never read by the individual who requested it, however, "RandyN" had stumbled onto this sight and stated to me that he was looking for the same type of tutorial. Randy has since been added to my Buddy list and continues to be an active member to this day! You see, "drawing threads" is not a DeltaCad issue but created the interest that held the attention of a very good member of this forum.

Just want to hear everybody's input

Chris "i44troll"
Could you give a few more details of what sort of software you have in mind? Are we talking CNC, or macros perhaps?

(edit)
Sorry, misread your post: I take it you are describing useful specific applications such as drawing gears, threads etc?

Regards
John
(10-27-2011, 02:49 PM)jw48 Wrote: Could you give a few more details of what sort of software you have in mind? Are we talking CNC, or macros perhaps?

Regards
John

Actually it would include any useful formula for the tradesman in general.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
For example.....
I purchased a machinist calculator a few years back and paid a hefty sum for it (over 40 dollars) only to find that the calculator itself was cheaply engineered. Since then I had to purchase a graphing calculator (Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus) for an Algebra Class and absolutely fell in love with it. With the ability to program the TI-84 I went wild on it programming everything I could think of that would benefit me in my machining labs. So far I have made programs for "CNC Tapping", "Feeds per Tooth", "Circular Interpolation (I's & J's)", "Conversion from Inches to MM's", "Inches Per minute (feedrates)", "MM's to Inch conversion", "Revolution Per Minute", "Surface Feeds", " Calculating the Versine of an Arc", and lately I'm working on Gearing formulas that will generate all the data needed to machine Spur Gears based upon the 3 major gear characteristics.
This request would be similar to what is already set up in our "encyclopedia" forum. Actually, that may be where it belongs.

(10-27-2011, 04:00 PM)i44troll Wrote: Actually it would include any useful formula for the tradesman in general.
For example.....
I purchased a machinist calculator a few years back and paid a hefty sum for it (over 40 dollars) only to find that the calculator itself was cheaply engineered. Since then I had to purchase a graphing calculator (Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus) for an Algebra Class and absolutely fell in love with it. With the ability to program the TI-84 I went wild on it programming everything I could think of that would benefit me in my machining labs. So far I have made programs for "CNC Tapping", "Feeds per Tooth", "Circular Interpolation (I's & J's)", "Conversion from Inches to MM's", "Inches Per minute (feedrates)", "MM's to Inch conversion", "Revolution Per Minute", "Surface Feeds", " Calculating the Versine of an Arc", and lately I'm working on Gearing formulas that will generate all the data needed to machine Spur Gears based upon the 3 major gear characteristics.
This request would be similar to what is already set up in our "encyclopedia" forum. Actually, that may be where it belongs.

Hmm.. They're a bit overkill for my home workshop activities, Chris, but others may well find them very useful. Hope we get some replies.

John

It does seem, as you have suggested, that the Encyclopedia would be an appropriate place to store your information.
To comment let me respond with an example: I wanted to make a 3 gallon aluminum fuel tank. Several DC drawings were created. Two of the drawings are attached. The purpose of these drawings is to save the various design information. Both drawing are really scratch pads containing data that I've collected to facilitate building the tank.
So if I designed something using your calculations I would save it on a DC scratch pad. It's like the symbols library. I could create the symbol my self, search the internet or go to this site to find what I need.

RandyN

.pdf   A Fuel Tank Scratch Pad.pdf (Size: 193.69 KB / Downloads: 10)
.pdf   Bending Design for fuel tank.pdf (Size: 32.27 KB / Downloads: 10)
The more I think of it the more I agree! Maybe the name "Encyclopedia" could be changed to a title that suggests "definitions and formulas" etc.
The information can be added to the forum in no certain order and I can create an index where members can browse the content of that forum, very much like the index for tutorials.
How about...

Definitions, Charts and Formulas
An Encyclopedia of useful engineering, design & drafting information.

I'll let you guys decide how it's actually worded and whether or not a new dedicated forum is created or if the existing Encyclopedia forum is renamed/redefined. Smile
Perfect wording Boss. I vote to replace Encyclopedia with it.
I agree. The new name is much more likely to attract useful entries.
Very good wording Boss.

RandyN