Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Re: Can I merge two or more DeltaCad drawings?
The following question was sent to me from Raymond, via our 'contact us' email link...

Raymond Kinsel Wrote:Can I merge two or more DeltaCad drawings?

Thanks

I've informed him that his question would best be answered by the group, rather than just by me. So I'll send him a link directly to this thread for any responses and discussion regarding his question after I've completed my response.

(my response, in progress, is in the next post)
Hi Raymond & welcome to the group.

You pose a valid question. However, unlike a typical drawing, the ability to directly merge separate .dc drawing files would result in a very messy cluster of unconnected lines, dimensions and what-not. That's if it were even possible to do so in a simple manner.

That said, you CAN merge multiple .dc drawings into one single drawing by using the Symbol system.

First - Load one of the .dc drawings you want to merge into another drawing.

Using the SELECT tab, 'grab' everything in that drawing that you want to 'merge' into another drawing. Then, under the Edit menu drop-down, (NOT the Edit tab) click on Copy.

Now, in the File drop down menu, select Symbols...

A new window will open. Click on the "New Symbol File" button (bottom left)

Another 'input' window will open. Enter a file name such as, "Merge Files" in the top input box, leave as "default" in the middle box, and enter "Drawing 1" (or whatever) in the bottom input box.

You have now established a "storage place" (.sym file) for any subsequent .dc drawings that you may want to 'merge' into a single drawing.

From this point on all you need to do is follow the Load --> Select --> Copy process above and then again select the "Symbol..." option in the File drop down menu. But instead, you will need to click on your newly created "Merge Files.sym" file in the file list window and then click on the "Add Symbol" button, naming it accordingly, to add it to your "Merge Files.sym" file.

Now that your multiple .dc drawings are stored in a single .sym file. You can open the .dc file that you want them to be 'merged' into and then -again- go into the File--> Symbol... menu, but at this time, you select the .sym file name in the list of files, then select the specific drawing you want to merge into that drawing and THEN click on the SELECT button. You'll be sent back to your drawing to position and, with one more click, paste that drawing.

Note: Pasted .sym files can be 'ungrouped' to allow editing as needed.

I'm quite sure a few of our other members could simplify my rather involved & detailed instructions. (After-all, I do tend to get "too wordy" sometimes.)
Boss, you can actually cut and paste a dc file into another without having to create a symbol file, just select,select base point, copy, and then paste.
I wonder if Raymond was really trying to ask about how to layer a drawing?
I'm pretty sure he's just wanting to merge multiple .dc drawings into one. However, I had considered layers too but then each layer would have to be positioned relative to all other drawing layers so that when all layers are turned on, everything lines-up correctly.

That's the great thing with DeltaCad, there's almost always more than one way to achieve the same end result. Tongue