Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Color formula
I have a laser engraver that requires specific RGB color formulas from the software in order to control variables such as vector or raster mode, power, speed etc. The colors are the basic red, green, blue, magenta etc. How can I control exactly which codes are sent to the printer/engraver so I can control these features.

I recently made a drawing of a simple box and sent it to the engraver; the engraver ignored everything but the black text. I believe the color red I selected for the drawing was not the precise formula required, so the printer/engraver ignored it.
Glafaille,

Deltacad uses a predefined color palette, no custom color combinations are offered. However, you will still be able to identify the RGB number by exporting the image as a BMP file and opening it up in MS Paint. If you select the color with the eye-dropper (while in Paint) and choose the "colors" menu> "edit colors"> "define custom colors", you will be able to see the RGB color code for that color, in this case RED: 255 GREEN:0 BLUE:0.
While you are there you can change the RGB number to any custom RGB number and change the colors of your drawing to suit the needs of your printer by using the MS Paint color fill option. This may or may not work, it's worth a try though just to see if the color code it is truly the problem.
If it does remedy the problem it probably created a new problem as well....once your drawing is converted into a BMP file you lose the actual size and orientation of your drawing. Maybe your software can handle that problem with ease. Let's hope so

Chris "i44troll"
Something for the Wish List? DeltaCad does seem a little behind the times in this respect, with more and more CAD files being exported to other equipment.
"Glafaille",

I believe the top two rows of the color select window contain the 'pure' RGB colors that you need.

--> Black - Red - Green - Yellow - Blue - Magenta - Cyan - White
(You should not use the other Black, or very dark, and Grey color boxes in those top two rows nor any other of the colors when creating a drawing intended for your CNC engraver.)

Just curious, do you use software that generates a G-code text file that you can read/edit prior to sending it to your CNC engraver?
I'm not really sure what happened but the laser engraver is behaving nicely with Delta Cad now. I believe that the top row of colors are indeed what I need although I have not yet tested all of them. The most important colors are red and black, I will test the blue later this week.

My laser is a Universal VersaLaser VL200. Cut and raster modes are operational with Delta Cad. I will post more information after I have tested further.
Thank to everyone for the help! The laser engraver is seen by Delta Cad as a printer. Once you hit print the info is transferred to the laser management software. No G code that I know of.
Please share (attach) some photos of your VL 200 engraver projects created with DeltaCad in our Show Off Your Stuff forum. Please also include a .jpg of your .dc drawings.

-- I wouldn't mind it if Santa Claus left one of those gadgets under my Christmas tree. Tongue