Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drawing Perspective
The other day I was playing with DC and ended up messing around with perspective (never dune that before, perspective that is). What's got me puzzled is how do you maintain a proportional aspect in length? I.E. A window has height and length, the height will automatically change as you follow along the paths of the vanishing point. But how do you maintain a proportional length?

Hoping you understand what I'm asking,
williamj
Bill,

I don't know of any way to pin-point the actual dimension required to draw the width of any line in perspective. There may be a calculation that can be used based upon the angles used in the drawing but I am not aware of any. The drawing below shows construction lines used in a perspective drawing and why that method fails with width dimensions.

Read this thread from this point to the end. This link starts at the 18th post from a word-to-drawing challenge that 'the Boss" introduced a while back. The challenge quickly became a lengthy discussion on perspective drawing technique. Go ahead and try your hand at the contest and you will understand more about what brought out such a lengthy discussion.

Chris "i44troll"
Chris,

Thanks for the responce. Tried reading thre thread but all I ended up with was headache. However... I did think of a way to achieve the desired results. Will report back after I've tried it out.

williamj
Yeah, I can see why you would get a headache! You really had to be a participant in the contest to truly know what the conversation was all about
Chris,

It actually worked. Here
Ugh! Now I have a headache!

Could insert a sample drawing for me?
Will do Chris. But I''ll have to work something up in D.C.

be back then,
williamj
**(Moderators Note from i44troll: I deleted several posts that were the off subject having to do with "how to..." with regard to attaching files.)**

John,

Thanks for the quick responce, this learning curve is looking more and more like a ski jump all the time. Wink As far as my magnetic personnality is concerned opposites really do attract but in my case it's often head first!Tongue

Baptism of fire not withstanding I always try, I'm always trying. And my wife whole heartily agrees, She says I'm Very Trying! Undecided

Chris,

It' been an education, in trying to show you what I didn't understand I began understanding... somethings. I think what I'm still not sure of is the perception of perspective. I've put together a little PDF of what I did while I was trying to figure out "what it was that I didn't understand".

Communications has never been one of my strong suits, so I'm hopin' atleast some of this makes a little sense.

williamj

.pdf   Exploring Perspective with DeltaCAD.pdf (Size: 140.8 KB / Downloads: 41)
Hello Bill

It worked!

That 'error' message is really confusing. It took me a little while yesterday to realise that it's pretty nonsensical.

Thanks for a splendid contribution to the forum. I'll be settling down this evening to study it.

Regards
John
Bill,

Still, with BOTH of our drawings you can see that the widths of our windows are equal and NOT diminishing. The problem with a perspective drawing is being able to "place and size" the inner objects so that they appear to vanish along with the main object (in this case, the outer building structure) while keeping correct orientation with the surrounding, which is nearly impossible without some kind of mathematical formula that would include the angles and distances of the main object. We have no problem drawing the height of our inner objects (in this case, windows) it is the width that kills us! If you look at the windows of both drawings you can clearly see that they appear different as they diminish. They should appear very much similar as the building fades or diminishes, instead, the window on the left appears tall and narrow and the one on the right appears short and wide.
I tried several ways to get this to work for me, the first was to divide each wall using corner-to corner lines that "found" the supposed center.

....then, after drawing the first window, I copied it and placed it at the center of each division. I then scaled it perfectly to fit within the height perspective. I thought that by scaling the window as a whole that it would work perfectly. I was wrong!

Scaling wasn't the problem here, it was orientation! My cross-hairs did not correctly orient where to place the centers of my windows.
So I tried something else to graduate a perspective line into increasing unequal lengths.
By using an arc I tried to plot intersections that progressed in length one after the other. This is what I got....

However, when the windows were placed on every third intersection they eventually ran into each other as the drawing diminished.

I think i'm on the right track. The problem now is simply to find out what arc radius to use to generate the correct line placement. Obviously it would require a greater arc than the one used here to place unequal lines that would graduate evenly with the perspective angle. There has got to be a mathematical solution to this. Do you agree?

Chris