Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Set Permenant Base Point
The ONLY way to guarantee that your new base point will be selected every time you select an object is to save the object AND base-point as a symbol file! It will work every time! However......
When you create an object WITH a new base point and save it as a "group" you must choose that base point again to use it. This is why, in previous posts, I tell people to draw "points" (those RED temp points within the POINT tab) instead of selecting a single base point! Why?....Because you can only choose ONE base point for any object whereas you can place as many "RED temp points" as you want to create MULTIPLE snap points on any object, but you still have to select one of those points as a base point otherwise the default insertion point is the center of the object (based on rectangular boundaries). There is no way around this! By DEFAULT the center will be chosen automatically unless you choose a new location. Some would say, "then why set a base point at all if I still have to select it again to use it?....here's an easy answer....you won't be able to use it at all if you don't create it first! You will be left using the center of the object every time if you don't create an alternate base point! My recommendation is to save a base point in symbol files, and save standard RED temp points (as many as needed) in Grouped files.
Chris,

Sorry to be such a pain in the... harumph, but I think I'm finally starting to get the jist of it. But I don't think I'm getting it all just yet.

I draw a circle, place a new base point (lower left quadrant) and save as symbol. I retrieve that symbol from the symbol files and place it on the worksheet. The symbol is indeed place by the new base point location. Now this is where I getting goofed up. When I select the circle for repositioning the circle is place by the original "centered" base point in it's new location.

In a select and move DeltaCad "always?" reverts to the original "centered" base point?

williamj
Bill, your not getting goofed up, your just expecting the new base point to remain permanent, which it does not. When saved in a symbol file the new base point is preserved as the actual insertion point, but once it is placed into a drawing its job is done and that location is discarded and is set back to the default center once again.
To preserve the new location I went ahead and tried using a "RED temp point" as an included "snap-point" in an object and saved it to a symbol file. This worked identical to the instructions written above (when saving as a grouped object) only this time we are able to place our object as a symbol file AND preserve the location of our new base-point because it is no longer only a "base-point" but an inserted "RED temporary SNAP point" as well! (BIG difference!) The temporary point will turn invisible but will not be discarded when placed into the drawing. Although it remains invisible you can locate it by hovering over it with your mouse.

Please don't think that you are troubling me! I'll have you know that I have learned patience by attempting to teach those that DON'T want to learn! This is QUITE THE OPPOSITE!!!

Chris "i44troll"
Chris,

Thanks ever so much for all your efforts, they are REALLY appreciated!

I started this whole mess because of the way I prefer to work With DeltaCad. Normally I gather whatever symbols and or objects from other drawings that I think I'll need, and place them on my worksheet as sort of a "portable library" as it were.

When working in Iso I figured it would be easier and a little more precise if I could relocate the base point so the object would immediately line up with the Iso axis. So much for easier!

AaaaHAHAHAHaHaHa...!!! <slappin'knee>

This is still doable however. Once on the worksheet I can place a crosshairs on the new base point, and once positioned, simply delete the crosshairs.

Not as easy and simple as desired but all in all still doable.

again Thanks ever so much!,
williamj
I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this post but this is where it all started. So feel feel to move if this is too far off topic.

In trying to figure out how to simply "plop" down an object on an Isometric axis and have it line up appropriately using 'base points' I came across this proceedure.

By saving an object with, with a new base point as a symbol (as described by i44troll), that object can be placed precisely along an Isometric axis by using the proceedure in the attached PDF.

williamj

.pdf   Precise Placement of an Object on an Isometric Axis.pdf (Size: 319.94 KB / Downloads: 6)
(09-12-2012, 10:35 AM)clive Wrote: For me, if I would want to move an object along an ISO (say 30* angle) line I would probably set up a new layer 'Construction' (blue lines in snap shot) and first draw a perpendicular 'construction' line from my ISO line and then using the parallel line tool, draw parallel 'construction' lines offset to whatever distances I need.
Then using the intersections between the 'offset' parallel lines and my original ISO line, I would move the object (circle in this case) and snap to these intersections. When I`m done simply turn off layer construction.

Clive,

That works very well for an object with the anchor point (base point) in the center of the object.

The difficulty I was having was to maintain an anchor point in an object, somewhere other than center, and have that anchor point relocated to a specific position along the Isometric axis.

Saving an object, with a new base point, as a symbol will retain the new base point, once. Once placed on the worksheet the base point ot the oject reverts back to the center point of the object. This isn't sufficient for how I work. I prefer to load my worsheet woth symbols and objects that I think I will need then I begin to "assemble" my drawing. Once the object, after being placed on the worksheet, has lost the new base point I can no longer place the object on the Isometric axis with the accuracy that I desire.

So when I first place the object on the worksheet I place it at the "point of origin" on the Isometric axis and enter the relative X and Y co-ordinants and the object is moved to exactly where I want it.

This way the base point reverting back to center is no longer an issue.

good to hear from you again,
williamj
I hope I haven't worn out my welcome on this thread.

Bill, remember, if you place temporary points in any location on the object, even if it isn't actually on a line or arc, then select all of it including the points you can save it as a symbol file and it will allow you to use those points as snap points.

Chris "i44troll)
Okay,

I'm starting to get confused all over again.

Given how "I" prefer to work... Gather symbols and objects all at once on work sheet, arrange symbols and objects as reguired and add all neccessary lines, shapes, circles and arcs to complete finished drawing.

Once a symbol (with new base point) is placed on the work sheet (not neccessarally in it's finally position) it looses it's "new" base point focus. The original "centered" base point regains focus and the object (when moved) will be anchored at that centered base point.

Correct?

If I work as prefered, once the symbols (with new base points) are gathered on my worksheet, the "new" base point focus is lost and all the work in placing new base points is lost. With out the new base point I'm back finagling the symbol/object into the desired position on the Isometric axis. Which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

So, I alter my prefered way of working in DeltaCad, I go to the symbols library, select the proper symbol and not "store" it on my work sheet but place it on the "point of origin" on the Isometric axis and key in the X and Y co-ordinates to move it along the Isometric axis into it's final position. Once positioned. if neccessary, I can slide the symbol up or down the Isometric axis without having to worry about repositioning it again.

The first attached image illustrates the problem I was having with the centered base point (blue cross hairs) being the anchor point. The back face of one symbol doesn't align properly with the front face of the adjoing symbol.

Where as, in the second attached image the back and front faces align more properly when using the new base point (red cross hairs) positioning method.

hoping this makes sense somewhere,
williamj

(09-12-2012, 12:40 PM)i44troll Wrote: I hope I haven't worn out my welcome on this thread.

Bill, remember, if you place temporary points in any location on the object, even if it isn't actually on a line or arc, then select all of it including the points you can save it as a symbol file and it will allow you to use those points as snap points.

Chris "i44troll)

Chris,

Your input is welcome anywhere anytime and I do appreciate your considerable efforts.

williamj
(09-13-2012, 03:52 AM)clive Wrote: my head is now totally filled up with points etc... Rolleyes

Clive,

Are they're anything like the red based pointy thingies floating around in my head that are like fireworks going off in between my ears?!?! Dodgy

thanks for all your help and efforts,
williamj

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  defining grouped object base point to pivot jlscheele 1 1,881 01-03-2017, 01:18 AM
Last Post: AlwMVMO