Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gaps when imported into other software--cutting problem
We use DeltaCAD to create files for laser and waterjet cutters. The company we work with tells us that our files are coming through with tiny gaps at corners and in some places where lines join curves. They have to spend time to fix this.

I saw the same gaps at corners and where curves join straight lines when I imported the files into an old copy of AutoCAD LT 2000i. But they don't show up in the DeltaCAD files no matter how much I enlarge them with zoom, so I'm not sure how to eliminate them.

I am converting the DeltaCAD files to .DXF format using the 2000/2001/2002 option.

How can we eliminate these tiny gaps in the DXF files so our vendor doesn't have to spend time repairing them?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--Jenny
Jenny,

The problem that you are having is not uncommon, especially with the industry that you have chosen to work in. DXF files.. "DRAWING exchange format" files (emphasis on the word DRAWING) will always present a problem when trying to use them to create machine toolpaths, simply because they are still just "drawings". The laser and water-jet industries love to use these drawings because they don't have to compensate for the diameter of an endmill or drill bit, however, they export loosely connected lines that still resemble the original drawing...though not good enough to chain a toolpath.
If you look for answers on the internet you'll get nothing more than "you're wasting your time talking about it, you may as well start fixing it". Not exactly what you are wanting to hear.
So...
I'll tell you what I use and see where that will go.
Years ago when I first started using Mastercam I found the same problem when importing DXF artwork into my projects. At that time, because there was no easy fix for this problem, I would spend countless hours editing the drawing. This was not easy because, as you know already, these gaps are likely to be so small that you literally have to zoom in from what would appear to be a perfectly joined intersection. I would then have to add a line segment and do some trimming as well before I moved to the next gap. Honestly, I would rather take a beating than have to put up with that every day!
Two Summers ago I purchased a CNC Router that came with Vectric V-Carve Pro software. This software was awesome! It allowed you to identify those open vectors and had tools that would fix those little gaps without having to zoom in to see them, Plus, it didn't require any trimming or adding extra lines. It still takes some time, but it is very easy to use and I can re-save my work as an "AI File" (Adobe Illustrator), that can be scaled and manipulated in many other ways. It will cost $599, but it is so good (and easy to use) that I upgraded to Aspire because I was so impressed with the product.
Other than that I wonder if the other companies programmer can adjust the tolerance of the CAM software to allow for those gaps? Here is a picture of Mastercams configuration menu that gives the user the ability to change that tolerance value.

Chris "i44troll"
Chris,

Thanks so much for your answer. It turns out that the previous company we were using did have that software or something like it that fixed the gaps with a couple keystrokes. For now the vendors we are working with will fix the files (and are being paid enough we don't feel bad about having them do it.) And you've given us a solution for the future should we need to do the fixes ourselves.

Thanks so much!