Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Search within DC files
I have 30,000+ drawings in Delta Cad. I need to search for some drawings and the only way to find the drawing I need is to search the typed text within the drawing somehow. Does anyone know how I might accomplish this. It would save me tons of time.
Any help would be great.
Mike,

I read your post yesterday and I just couldn't think of any way to search inside a .dc file. Have you tried Midnight Software? They're pretty good about responding to email questions. Even if there is no current solution your inquiry just might spur a new feature in the next version of DeltaCad.

However, there might just be a macro magician out there who may know how to write a macro to accomplish what you need. Until then might I suggest leaving clues to content in your .dc file names. Something like...

desk_mission_3drw.dc

Wish I could have been more help,
williamj
Mike, 30,000 .dc files is allot, we wouldn't mind if you could share 1 or 2, if they aren't owned by someone other than yourself, of course.

Oh... and welcome to the group. Smile

"williamj", I moved your other post to our "Request for Drawings, Symbols, Macros" forum <here> just in case there is a Macro miracle worker out there somewhere.

As far as I know each and every .dc file would have to be located and then opened within DeltaCad by a Macro before any text elements could be searched to find the specified text and subsequently closed until a match is found. I'm not sure if DC is capable of doing such a task without crashing.

I do think such a dedicated internal .dc text-search searching utility program would not be a bad idea, though. But that's something Midnight Software would likely have to create & offer.
Mike,
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it does the job...
I have Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro (Extended) that I use religiously and at times use it to create PDF's out of my drawings. The advantage to this is that it does give you the ability to search through all combined PDF's for any text string and you can combine all your drawings into one file.

Just a thought....

Chris "i44troll"