Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie needs help quickly.
Hello everyone. I just got accepted to watchmaking school and contained in the acceptance documentation was a copy of Deltacad 7. They have instructed me to familiarize myself with the program and draw a watch dial to be turned in and discussed as soon as school starts in September. I did the initial setup and the tutorial to draw the calculator. I was wondering if anyone knows of any instruction manuals, books etc.. that would give me some more tutorials to run. Did most of you just experiment with the program to find your way around? Or is there class or instruction manual that is more comprehensive than the manual that came with the program? Thanks, Chris
Hello Chris

Welcome to the group.

There is a printed version of manual.pdf available from DeltaCad (see their website) which I find more convenient in use than the on-screen version. If you're unfamiliar with CAD then there's no short cut in my opinion - it's a matter of understanding what tools the program is offering and how to use the various features available. In this respect DeltaCad is especially good for its simple interface. Can I suggest practicing with each drawing tool in turn until you feel confident with it, then try combining the tool with others, and so on. For example, for your watch dial, try drawing the minutes ring. If you get stuck, we'll be happy to help. Scale can be a confusing aspect of DeltaCad and one of Chris's tutorials here explains all.

There are several excellent tutorials (designed by Chris i44troll) available on this site but some cover more advanced features within DeltaCad. To the best of my knowledge there are no elementary tutorials available beyond the calculator one given.

The watch dial seems quite a demanding exercise to inflict on newcomers, particularly if the tutor is asking for Roman numerals, the positioning of which can be quite tricky.

John
Thanks John. I'll get to work immediately. Thanks for the reply. I've got eight weeks to practice. I'm sure I can get it. I was just wondering if there were any "Deltacad for Dummies" books out there. HA HA. Thanks again, Chris