Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rescaling changes dimensions on V.8
Hello All,
Been working with V8 for a few days now & I think I like it.
I know that one of the changes is that when the scale is changed, the dimension is changed as well.
Is there a way to keep the original dimension on the rescaled image?

Thanks,
Corey
Ok, I haven't figured out how to keep the original measurements when scaling Select/Sc, but I did find out something else interesting.
I thought I would just open the file in V.7, do it there, and have it done. Nope.
V.7 doesn't recognize V.8 .dc files. So I went back to V.8 and re-saved it as a .dxf file and then opened that in V.7. That kinda worked. Not great because of the info lost in the drawing.
But what I found is in Options/Drawing ScaleUnits, there are two boxes at the bottom with check-marks. They do not seem to work in the demo. I'm wondering if maybe one of those are what I'm looking for as far as the original question. Can someone who has purchased the V.8 confirm what those do?

Thanks,
Corey

I think what it boils down to is, I'll end up buying the V.8.
Corey,

Saving your file as DXF will change your dimension to arcs and line entities. Not good!
Try this option....
Options menu then "drawing scale units"

Whoops! Just noticed your reference to this box! I will say here that if checked or unchecked it will only work if you are using that box to make the size changes, otherwise the changes are discarded after you exit the box. So make your changes while that dialog box is open.
I have never used it so you can be the tester on this one. If I want my dimensions to stay the same after I enlarge a part of the drawing i'll dimension everything first, copy the section of drawing to be enlarged/magnified, then edit the dimensions to change the numbers to the original values. Remember, your dimensions can be edited and modified any way you like, they can be tailored to any need.
Here is an example of a drawing with two magnified "circles" where the dimensions in the larger circles had to be edited manually to show the original values.

Chris
(02-02-2014, 02:11 PM)i44troll Wrote: If I want my dimensions to stay the same after I enlarge a part of the drawing i'll dimension everything first, copy the section of drawing to be enlarged/magnified, then edit the dimensions to change the numbers to the original values. Remember, your dimensions can be edited and modified any way you like, they can be tailored to any need."

Yes, which is exactly what I need to do, the enlarged circle. And that is how I ended up doing it, editing the dimension values. But in V.7, I didn't have to do that. It retained the original values.
I think a check box for this would be immensely valuable.
I know nothing about programing the macros, but I bet there is a way to do it with the program as is.

Thanks for your input. Like I said, I'll have to buy this version now that I have .dc files that are not backward compatible.
Corey

Ok Chris,
I experimented and the box DOES do what I want, but it changes the whole drawing, not just what I selected.
There just has to be a way!
Hate to tell you Corey, but THAT IS the way! You have to consider the workspace as one grid that is infinite. One would have to sacrifice the new Deltacad feature of updating dimensions and revert back to...say...version 6! Then you would hear me crying all over again for the ability to automatically change dimensions with scale changes.
I bet if you think about it you don't do as much of this magnification as you think you do.....hmmm just thought of something.....il be back!
OMG! I'm a freakin' genius!

Corey,
Draw a circle around the part of the drawing you want magnified, then select the section (may include other outside entities) you want to magnify, copy it, and paste it elsewhere in the drawing. While the copy is still selected make it a group (select tab/GR), now you can go to the EDIT tab and click on the group to edit the entities outside the circle by choosing "edit picture". When you have finished trimming all entities exit the "edit picture" mode. Select the trimmed group and scale it up or down, you can not change the dimensions of a grouped object while it is grouped. It will do exactly what you want! Smile

Chris
LOL!
Great minds think alike. I was working toward doing just that when your reply came through! You beat me to it. On an experimental sheet, I simply drew a circle, gave it a diameter dimension, grouped it, selected the group, Scaled it up, ungrouped it with edit, and bingo, dimension stays the same.
I KNEW you would think of it!!

Thanks,
Corey

(edited out redundant quotes - Chris)
congrats Corey! This one is going in the Hints and Tips section!
If you EDIT a dimension and change the Precision to Manual which is at the top of the list, the dimension will not change when you change the scale.
Nice find, Alan