Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Version 4 vs 7 dimension inaccuracy
I have a drawing created in Version 4. It was fully dimensioned.
I now use Version 7.
Adding in parallel to existing dimensions (the Version 4 dimensions) a Version 7 dimension does not produce the same dimension.

Example: (in inches)
Version 4 dwg: 25.9999
Version 7 dim: 24.6999
Difference: 1.3000
Error: 1.3000 *100 / 25.999 = 5.000 %

Why would this be? Huh

Rod

For me to believe is insufficient for you to know. - rodalsa
That's a new one on me, unless you scaled the original after you had dimensioned it, then it would make sense. Does EVERY dimensioned drawing have the same outcome?
Since my first post, I came to the tentative conclusion that scaling might be the problem. I tested it. The V4 drawing was dated 06/08/05 so I'm not remembering any scaling done then. I do not remember any need for scaling. I used 6 of the V4 dimensions and dimensioned them under V7. I calculated ratios for the six ( V4/V7 ). 3 Horizontal. 3 Vertical. They all matched to 6 decimal places. I applied the resulting 6 decimal place ratio to V4 and then on the scaled result again dimensioned the six dimensions under V7. The results matched to 3 decimal places. All dimensions both V4 and V7 were displayed to 4 decimal places.

So i44troll has the key. Remembered or not, it appears that I must have scaled the V4 drawing.

For i44troll's question re all drawings - I'm checking on it this morning. I'll be back.

Rod

I checked one 2013 drawing and one 2005 drawing. Both dimensioned correctly in Version 7. This nails the cause of my problem.

Simply, I scaled the drawing while in V4 to reduce its size.

Thanks i44troll.

Believe it or not, Scaling problems are the majority of the problems we encounter here.
(10-07-2014, 12:39 PM)i44troll Wrote: Believe it or not, Scaling problems are the majority of the problems we encounter here.

I have one more piece of info to add. The DeltaCad file had several related but independent (sub-drawings) on one sheet. All of them except the one that I selected as a starting point for a new drawing were NOT scaled. Only the one I chose to copy and paste into a new Window had been scaled.

Doing what I did complicates things unnecessarily. What I'm going to do in the future is make sure that I annotate all drawings that I scale with the scale factor that will restore the congruity between the drawing's displayed dimension values and DeltaCad's measured dimensions.

I think we can now list this thread as resolved.

Rod, as you may have noticed, I had moved your post from 'Complaints' to the 'Request Help' forums so, therefore, this thread will never be annotated as [Solved] and the re-direct from 'Complaints' to this forum will be automatically removed leaving it only in this forum for others to refer to.

I will, however, give it a 5-star rating as it has been resolved. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Issue Dimension - Angle - No visual dimension lines displayed! rodalsa 5 2,612 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rodalsa