Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which layer displays on top of all other layers?
I decided to use DeltaCad to document the winterization of my pool. This involves using plastic sheeting and water bags to cover the deck and the pool. There are eight components that I have rendered on eight layers. One contains the basic pool and deck outlines (black on white). Six are segments of the deck with filled portions in color. One is the pool cover filled with a different color.

When I rendered the Pool cover while everything was displayed, I achieved the effect that I wanted. The basic pool and deck appeared with the deck covers visually overlaying the basic pool and the pool cover overlaying all of them and everything visible. Explicitly the pool cover's colored area where it overlapped the deck covers occluded the deck covers. I was a happy camper.

Then "What did I do?" I turned some layers on and off to do some other work. I tried to go back to my "happy camper days". I could not get there. The pool cover was always occluded by the deck covers.

I read another post re a box and its cover that implied that the fill colors were important. This may be the key to my problem in that if I choose the proper colors my problem may be fixed. But what color sequence is required?

Anyone have an answer?

The attachments to this post show the basic pool, one deck cover, the pool cover and all three on at the same time.

Rod,
You will have to select each item from the top to the bottom as though you were viewing from the top down and use the "Move to the bottom of the Z order" button within the EDIT tab. This will make your first selection rise to the top after all items have been selected and the rest fall into the selection order. The difficulty comes when a layer is completely covered by a previously selected item.
I have spent some time playing with the problem. Here is what I have found.

1) i44troll's answer is correct. I confirmed this before reading his post.
2) If you Select all of the content on a layer, move it to a new location and then use Edit/Undo, the entire layer will be moved to the top.
3) Based on 2), if you Select one or more objects on a layer, move it to a new location and then use Edit/Undo, the one or more objects will be moved to the top.
4) Once on top you can use the Ctrl-E function to move any single object out of view.

It appears that anything that you can do that will edit a layer will move it to the topmost "visual layer". I have not tried all of the possibilities. I did locate an out of view line (not so easy) using the Ctrl-E function, changed it from a Normal to a Thick line and watched it appear on the top of three On layers. When I used Edit/Undo the line's thickness returned to Normal but it remained in view. I had to use the "Move to the bottom of the Z-order" function to return the line to its "hidden" state.

As to the question of any possible color domination between levels when more than one level is On, the answer apparently is that there is NOT one. The last created layer (Edited, anyone?) dominates the view regardless of color.

This JPG shows the results of my work on color domination. There is a fault with my work. I should have used a column and row of white filled and unfilled 1" squares. My guess is that the white filled squares would dominate the colors displayed while the unfilled squares would allow the overlain colors to be viewed. I am out of time to devote to this right now. Perhaps I will get back to it over the winter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Layers are listed in alphabetical order as well, giving no hierarchy to color or order of creation. I tend to group items that I know will not change if I know I will have trouble with layering.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused Layer and Layer Object Color IanL 1 1,868 06-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Confused Layers and Layer object colors IanL 2 2,436 06-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Last Post: IanL