Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing Hexagon using across flats dimension
Hi,
   Is there a way of drawing a hexagon using the across flats dimension rather than the side length dimension?
Regards,
Alan C.
You can type in .57735026 * Flat Dimension

examples 0,.57735026*3  will make a hexagon with 3.0 across vertical flats       ||
           or .57735026*2,0 will make a hexagon with 2.0 across horizontal flats    =
(06-09-2015, 12:39 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: You can type in .57735026 * Flat Dimension

examples 0,.57735026*3  will make a hexagon with 3.0 across vertical flats       ||
           or .57735026*2,0 will make a hexagon with 2.0 across horizontal flats    =

Good point - 0.5 x across flat dimension/cos30 = .57735026. This is a quick way of calculating the side length from the a.f. dimension, and it's what I have actually done. I was interested in knowing if there was a way of directly specifying the a.f. dimension. I realise it would only be applicable to polygons with even numbered sides.
Thanks,
Alan C.
I don't see any way to specify a flat dimension with Deltacad's shape function. I suppose a macro could be written to do the job for you.
same as the trig equivalent..... 
 0,TAN(30)*3 (vertical)
TAN(30)*3,0 (horizontal)

for those who don't like to use formulas you can draw a line and offset that line the distance you want your flats to be, then select both lines, click on the COPY button and rotate 60°, rotating it twice. Then just trim the lines.

Chris
(06-09-2015, 01:03 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: I don't see any way to specify a flat dimension with Deltacad's shape function. I suppose a macro could be written to do the job for you.

if we are still talking about the flat dimension of a hexagon (that is, the length of the flat itself) you just enter the length of the flat (comma) "0", because the center of the hexagon to the end of either end of the flat is the same distance as the flat itself (an equilateral triangle)
(06-09-2015, 01:38 AM)i44troll Wrote:
(06-09-2015, 01:03 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: I don't see any way to specify a flat dimension with Deltacad's shape function. I suppose a macro could be written to do the job for you.

if we are still talking about the flat dimension of a hexagon (that is, the length of the flat itself) you just enter the length of the flat (comma) "0", because the center of the hexagon to the end of either end of the flat is the same distance as the flat itself (an equilateral triangle)

Hi,
    This is what I did. I didn't really understand how the shapes button worked and I fluked on finding that by putting in x,0 as an offset gave a hexagon with side dimensions of x. I now realise this only works on hexagons and that the offset x,0 is actually the distance between the centre and the corners. I have no idea what an offset of x,y gives you.
Is there an explanation of how to use the shapes button anywhere?
Regards,
Alan C.
Alan,
At any time while using a function you need help press the F1 key.
Chris

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Issue Dimension - Angle - No visual dimension lines displayed! rodalsa 5 2,615 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rodalsa