Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
text on a spline
I'm having a problem. I am drawing maps (roads, etc.) and I need road names to follow the contour of the road - perpendicular to the line that represents the road. (Just like any map)

When I use the text/spline tool, I draw a spline matching the road, enter the text and the text ends up at all different angles - some is parallel with the spline, some not - rather than perpendicular to it. I've tried (using the "more" button) switching from Horizontal to Vertical - it makes no difference.

What am I missing here?

Undecided

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If I edit the spline then attach the text it messes up the text.

Draw your 'SPLINE' without edits or
Try plotting 'POINTS' where you want the spline to go then make your spline using the 'POINTS'
Put the Points on a different layer so they can be turned off.
If an edit to a spline is necessary then delete the spline and text, turn on the points, change the points, create a new spline and text.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Answers below:

* Are you using the 'Draw Spline Text' or 'Draw Parallel Spline Text'  Yes and yes... tried both
* Are you converting your splines to lines or arcs? No... but I did try it. Didn't help - it converted the text into outlines
* Have you tried different fonts?  Yes. Several and different sizes
* If you go to the 'EDIT' tab and 'EDIT' button and click on the text do you get the 'Edit Spline Text' dialog box? Yes

* Open a 'New File' and draw a simple spline and attach a text to it. I tried that and at first it worked (see attached) but then I did a parallel spline and got the second result (like all the others) so I'm wondering if it's the file or something else (like a video driver?)

If none of these tips works for you, you may have to email your file to 
Midnight Software for them to see what is in your file that keeps it from working.  @  Midnight Software contact    

I'll send the file (it's big) but I don't think it's the file - since it happens on new (clean) files too. I don't have an odd computer - it's an HP Envy laptop with an NVIDIA GE Force 940MX, 7th gen i7 proc, 16Gb RAM.  So weird!!
Thanks!
Jeff
I changed my REPLY please reread my new REPLY
(07-26-2017, 12:08 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: If I edit the spline then attach the text it messes up the text.

Draw your 'SPLINE' without edits or
Try plotting 'POINTS' where you want the spline to go then make your spline using the 'POINTS'
Put the Points on a different layer so they can be turned off.
If an edit to a spline is necessary then delete the spline and text, turn on the points, change the points, create a new spline and text.

That works the same for me on a new file - however on a large file (the kind I work on) it's consistently buggered up.  Sad Sad
This messes up for me without any edits whatsoever. 

I tried using points first, but it made no difference.

Using a NEW file spline text seems to work ok, parallel spline does not work - ever - but with a large file, any kind of spline text does not work. 
Looks like a bug in the software only Midnight Software can fix it.
They probably didn't allow much data memory in the program for Spline Texts.
DeltaCad User's Group isn't affiliated with them so we can't fix bugs here.

P.S.
Use the Big Black button at the bottom if you don't need to re-quote in a post.

Yes it was a bug and in one day Midnight fixed it - and while fixing that bug, they apparently fixed several other things that were a nuisance to me. Performance (for me, at least) has improved significantly as an added benefit.

Way to go Midnight Software!

Heart  Heart  Thanks for the help  Heart  Heart - and please update your DeltaCad to the latest patch.

-Jeff
Nice work, Jeff. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Spline Tab skycowboypaul 9 9,043 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Last Post: williamj