Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
redraw time after image rotated
I am new to this forum and well as deltacad. I have figured out that the redraw time of an imported image increases as the file size of the imported image increases. Also the quality of the image decreases as the file size of the imported image decreases.

Knowing this I have played with different files sizes of the image I want to import to find a balance between the quality of the image and the redraw time.

Now after rotating the image by .3016 degrees the redraw time has increased greatly (too long for me anyway).

My questions are;

1. Is there a way to reduce the file size of an image without losing quality of the imported image?

2. Is there a way to reduce the redraw times of a large imported image?

I did search the forum for a solution but did not find anything on this issue but I did find lots of very good information which is helping with my learning curve.

ToddM
Yes, you are right, it really does slow down. I imported a 6946 x 5086 image and rotated it and it takes 5 seconds to redraw.

More memory, a faster video card, or a faster computer might help.

You could contact < Midnight Software > for suggestions.
(09-19-2017, 06:16 PM)AlwMVMO Wrote: Yes, you are right, it really does slow down. I imported a 6946 x 5086 image and rotated it and it takes 5 seconds to redraw.
If you are doing some sort of animation where you need many images, I can see where a fast redraw is needed.

More memory, a faster video card, or a faster computer might help.

Are you exporting to JPEG? Use 300 dpi and 75% - 100% compression will make decent quality and file sizes.
A dpi setting to the original and 100% will keep the quality the same but makes large files.
Don't export to the same name as your original file.

You could contact < Midnight Software > for suggestions.

Thanks. I don't know much about computers but I know I have 8GB of memory but I do not know if that is enough.

You ask me if I am "exporting" and to jpeg. Is this something that has to do with my first question about "importing" a jpg file? Are you saying after importing should I export the and compress the file and reimport it and it will be a smaller file with good quality?
Ignore my comments about exporting ! ! !

It is hard to answer questions without knowing everthing.
I can't speak to the refresh/redraw rate of an image in DeltaCad, but I've found that for issues of image size and resolution, it's best to use a seperate image editing program for that.
(09-19-2017, 07:43 PM)AlwMVMO Wrote: Ignore my comments about exporting ! ! !

It is hard to answer questions without knowing everthing.

No worries. I thought you were giving me an answer to my questions. Thanks for the info on exporting drawing files as a jpg image. This will come in handy at some time.
(09-19-2017, 09:20 PM)williamj Wrote: I can't speak to the refresh/redraw rate of an image in DeltaCad, but I've found that for issues of image size and resolution, it's best to use a seperate image editing program for that.

Yes. I did use other programs to create the jpg file for importing. I will see if I can find another program that can straighten the image before importing into DC.

I guess there is a reason the DC program is so affordable. I wonder if other CAD programs have the same issue.

ToddM
OK, I have figured out a few things. First of all the images that I am importing are plans of a tall ship that I plan to build a model of. I was trying to imports each of the 4 sheets. As each sheet shows a number of different views and construction details I was able to crop each sheet into individual components and import one at a time. The plans are in pdf so I used acrobat to do the cropping, rotating and straightening. I then saved each as a jpg and imported into DC. Doing this allowed me to maintain the original crisp quality of the plans (scanned at a local print shop).

By doing all the editing in a separate program (acrobat) as suggested by williamj the redraw time even with the high resolution is instantaneous.

in case anyone is interested; to straighten an image in acrobat you use the text recognition "tool" and it automatically straightens the image. of course in order for this to work there needs to be some text and/or straight lines on the image.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

ToddM