Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to add color to a drawing
how do you add color to an object after you draw it?
soccerbacon,
What type of object are you referring to? A shape? A line? Text?
Without much to go on here, maybe this will help. Before you do anything, be it with shapes, lines, circles,text....whatever, you can specify what color and, if applicable, any fill, should you so desire. Pay special attention to the menus, depending on what type of "object" you are working with and simply choose the colors, line type, weight, etc. You can also edit each object later.
Before I get too deep, let's see where this gets you.
Like I said, there wasn't much to go on with your question.

By the way,
Welcome,
Kevin
Welcome to the group, soccerbacon.

As eluded to by Sparky, virtually all objects can be changed using the "EDIT" tab, "E" function button (default) and then selecting the object by clicking on it when it is hi-lighted. A pop-up window will be shown with all the attributes that can be modified. Such as line color, fill color/pattern (if a 'closed shape' object like a 'circle' or 'box'), line weight, etc.

However, as Sparky said, we could give you more specific assistance if you could be more specific as to what object type you want to change.

Also, please tell us what version of DeltaCad you're using, as some earlier versions did not have the 'fill-color' option.

Thanks
I am using deltacad 6.0 pro. The item i want to fill is an object that i have drawn. It isn't a preset shape. I know how to fill those with color or hatching. I also know how to change line colors. I have drawn an object from multiple lines, radius, etc. and would like to combine all the lines somehow to make a closed object. Is that possible?
You might have to use the "spline" or "shape" tool to do that, over-drawing it with the same line weight, with "fill" turned on and set to your desired fill color. If it's a complex shape, it could take some time to do, but it can be done.

Could you please attach a .jpg of the drawing?
The default settings should be okay to give us an idea of what your wanting to fill. Be sure the portion of the drawing you want to save as a .jpg file is in the DeltaCad view window. With that we might be able to point-out some "tricks" to make the process go a little quicker.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Wink
Just to let you know. the last response worked wonderfully. Here is a new one. How do you make a 45 degree bend between two lines
Outstanding! I'm glad we could help. Thanks. Cool

Now on to your next question.

It depends. If the two lines intersect at 90 degrees to each other, you can use the "chamfer" tool in the "edit" tab. Remember, though, that a 1/4"(.25) chamfer will create a 1/2"(.5) long, 45-degree angled corner at the intersection. If the lines extend beyond the newly created corner, they will be "cut-off" and you may need to draw-in new lines if you still want them to continue beyond that corner.

If the lines are not at 90-degrees to each other, then you could use the "draw angled line" tool in the "line" tab. You may want to place a "temp point" on one of the lines as a "snap point" for one end of the angled line. You'll probably have to enter alternate degree values to create the "45-degree angle" in the desired orientation. The alternate values, from a straight vertical(0) or horizontal(180) line, are 45(of course), 135, 225 & 315.

If the line the 45-degree line is to be drawn from is not at 0 or 180 degrees, then you'll need to get the angle of the reference line using the "dimension" tab and add or subtract, in 45 degree increments, until you get the desired orientation.

Alternately, and I think an easier method would be to draw a temporary "perpendicular" line and use the "chamfer" tool, as previously described, to create a 45-degree angle between the two "odd angled" lines. This method would require no math or "guess work" either. I should think that it would also be more accurate.

As you can see, there are many "tricks" to accomplish the same results, depending on the situation.

Please note that if the result is not what you desire, you can always select the "undo" function in the drop-down "edit" menu at the top of the program window, up where the "file" menu is located, and try another value or method until you get the desired result.

You can use the "dimension" tab, "draw angle dimension between two lines" button to verify the angle between the two lines. The value should be one of the four alternatives listed above.

I hope this was helpful. (and not too lengthy or confusing) Wink

Don't be afraid to experiment. You can always "undo" or "erase" any undesirable results and try something else.

You'll be a "pro" at it, soon. Big Grin
How about this one. How can i draw an object at real world dimensions. I want 1" to equal 1". I need to make a 3" x 3" box and have it be an actual 3".
soccerbacon Wrote:How about this one. How can i draw an object at real world dimensions. I want 1" to equal 1". I need to make a 3" x 3" box and have it be an actual 3".
1. Open DeltaCad
2. Select the Shapes tab
3. Click anywhere on the middle of the screen
Notice the bottom of the screen for instruction. In this case it will tell you to select an "offset". This is simply how much you want to offset from the point where you clicked on your screen. Type 3,3 and hit enter. This will give you a 3X3 box.

I'm wondering if you have a manual for the software. If not, the help tab includes the users guide. I would suggest taking some time to go through it. Accomplishing "real world dimensions" takes an understanding of the drawing scale and the viewing scale and the differences between the two.
Trust me when I say that spending some time reading the users guide will get you going in a big way. Also, the best way to learn the program is to play around with it. Try every menu tab, every command and see what happens. When you do this, you will be surprised at what you learn. If you get stuck, don't hesitate to come back here for help.
Kevin
I would like to add that we do have a link to the manual in PDF format on our main page, too. You could have both opened at the same time and easily refer to the manual without having to change modes in DeltaCad. You could also print it, but it's rather sizable, since it includes Macro commands.

You can get to our main page by clicking on the banner at the top of the page.

Did you know you can print any drawing, or a selected portion, to full-scale, no matter what the view or drawing scale is? Just be careful, though. If you have a drawing that is measured out to 20x20 feet, it will print a 20x20 foot drawing - LOTS OF PAPER (8-1/2x11 sheets), TRIMMING and TAPING OR GLUING - EEGADS! Rolleyes