Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copy and move Object
This is my very first time using a CAD programme and I find DeltaCad excellent for the beginner, to such an extent that I purchase the software after using the Demo programme only once.

As I say this is my first attempt at CAD and I have already been able to design a stand for a recently purchase Star Wars Lightsaber.

Could I ask for some info on copying and moving objects around the screen.

To copy or move an object I click select , highlight the item which turns red and then move the object to the new position.

My query is :- when moving the object around the screen I can only see a square box with  an X across the diagonals. Is it possible to see the actual object instead of this box as it would help more accurate alignment  in the new position.

Is this the norm or can I change the settings to show the actual item.

Any advice would be appreciated.
This is the norm.

However, you can click [Select] and then, before you click the move icon, click the 'Point' icon (the icon with only a dot in it). Place the point on your object where ever you want that point to be precisely placed and then click the move icon and move the object to where you want it to be.

Just be aware that when you first use the point icon there is an offset of 1,1 (as indicated in the lower left of the screen) I always change it to 0,0 so the point on my cursor is where it will actually be placed.

(hope I explained that right)
There are a couple of things you can do to reposition objects precisely.

1. If you can calculate how far you want to move/copy your objects you can type in your distance.
    Type in your horizontal distance (X axis) then type in a comma ( , ) then type in your vertical distance (Y axis).

Some examples are :
    8,0               -  will move/copy your objects 8 units to the right
    0,5               -  will move/copy 5 units up
    -2.5,3           -  will move/copy 2.5 to left and 3 up
    6.125,-3.25   -  will move/copy 6.125 to the right and 3.125 down.

Even if you move/copy in one axis X or Y, you still have to have a zero (0) in the other axis.
    Units are whatever you started your drawing at.  Inches, Millimeters, or whatever.

2. If you are copying objects, put your new objects close to where you want them, click on the COPY button to turn off the copy mode.
    Then you can move your new objects anywhere to new positions without have to reselect them again.
    Just move your mouse cursor a little bit and click the left mouse button and keep doing this until your objects are where you want them.

If your mouse wheel is set to zoom you maybe able to zoom in while you are re-positioning your objects.
Many thanks for your help.

I have tried both your suggestions and found they work perfectly.

Again many thanks for your swift replies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Copy/Paste/Move? Set a "Zero"? KellisRJ 6 2,144 10-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO