Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Technical Issue Hatching not working - getting solid fill instead
Hi,

So I'm not trying anything fancy to start with - I'm just trying to draw hatched boxes, using this method:

1. Choose Shapes menu.
2. Select Line type -> select Hatched, choose whether to draw the outline, select hatching style.
3. Click on the first shape (rectangle by two points).
4. Draw rectangle.

What I get is a solid filled rectangle in the default colour (black).  Instinctively I went to the colour selector, hoping to find "No Color" (as you might find in other software) but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I probably doing something fundamentally wrong here, but it's not obvious to me.  I checked the manual and although there is a hatched sectional drawing in the screenshots of some engineering part I don't think it tells you how to make the hatching.  It does mention changing the line style of a circle to hatched - which I tried with similar results.

This is Version 10.0.0 on an old-ish iMac (running MacOS 10.13.6)

Thank you,
David.
(12-09-2021, 02:53 PM)woodspiral Wrote: So I'm not trying anything fancy to start with - I'm just trying to draw hatched boxes, using this method:

Again, I've managed by luck to answer my own question!  It was a drawing scale thing.  Once I'd set that I can now see hatching.  

It was a bit odd actually because I had changed the scale so that my dimensional arrows were decent looking and later on selected some text to move and hey presto I accidentally selected an 'invisible' white circle with hatching on which when selected had nice looking red hatching lines.  I had drawn this circle hours earlier experimenting with the hatching setting to see if I could get it to work for me and as part of that experiment I had selected a white colour as a test, so it was not showing up on the page at all! Serendipity!

Now I really must read the manual carefully on this whole scale thing.  I'm working on an architectural drawing which is 1:100 @ A3 and 1:50 @ A1.  I've got units in mm and I've set the drawing scale to 50 which I hope corresponds to the 1:50 at A1.  If I go to page setup it says A4 again, although I'm sure I set that to A1 previously.  I have done a Save As with this document at least twice to create working copies so it could have reset.  I know scales can be a bit confusing especially considering paper space, model space, viewing scale etc.. . Certainly for me anyway! 
David

Scaling in DeltaCad can be quite difficult to get to grips with, and I'd be the last to claim to be an expert!  Having been caught out in early days by similar problems to yours, can I suggest you look at a couple of tutorials on the subject:

DeltaCad Users' Group Home Page
Tutorials
'Scaling Objects to Exact Specifications' and ' Selecting the Correct Drawing Scale'

Plenty of other good stuff there, too.

These were prepared by i44troll, a previously very active member of the forum, greatly missed from these hallowed halls.

John
(12-09-2021, 06:47 PM)jw48 Wrote: DeltaCad Users' Group Home Page
Tutorials
'Scaling Objects to Exact Specifications' and ' Selecting the Correct Drawing Scale'

Plenty of other good stuff there, too.

Yes, thank you, John!  I wasn't aware of those tutorials - lots of useful files. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Z" not working any more? Axel Gringmuth 7 7,510 08-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: mysundial
  Custom fill patterns Glafaille 2 3,117 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Glafaille