Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Copying a circle
Hi everyone, my first post.... Got a real funny and no response from DC themselves.

I've been using DC to make pix for training material- draw the pic in DC, select, copy, switch to the doc in Word, paste. Been doing it for a while, no problem.

Then the other day I noticed that a circle in my DC pic hadn't appeared in the Word doc, although the rest of the pic had. I checked elsewhere in the Word doc, and other circles had copied and displayed correctly.

I've narrowed it down to this-
  • Circles made of non-solid lines eg various dots and dashes copy ok
  • Circles made of solid lines do not copy UNLESS there is some text copied in the process

Reason it had worked before was that all the pix had some text- the other day was the first time I had a pic without any labels.

Ok, I obviously have a workaround- I put one blank space in as text and include it in the select. But jeez, this is weird....

I tried to attach a file, couldn't get it to attach. If I figure that out I'll post again.

HELP please anyone?
(03-19-2009, 03:04 AM)JimBrown Wrote: Hi everyone, my first post.... Got a real funny and no response from DC themselves.

I've been using DC to make pix for training material- draw the pic in DC, select, copy, switch to the doc in Word, paste. Been doing it for a while, no problem.

Then the other day I noticed that a circle in my DC pic hadn't appeared in the Word doc, although the rest of the pic had. I checked elsewhere in the Word doc, and other circles had copied and displayed correctly.

I've narrowed it down to this-
  • Circles made of non-solid lines eg various dots and dashes copy ok
  • Circles made of solid lines do not copy UNLESS there is some text copied in the process

Reason it had worked before was that all the pix had some text- the other day was the first time I had a pic without any labels.

Ok, I obviously have a workaround- I put one blank space in as text and include it in the select. But jeez, this is weird....

I tried to attach a file, couldn't get it to attach. If I figure that out I'll post again.

HELP please anyone?
Jim, I am heading out to work soon but I will look at this a little closer when I get there. I'm sure there is an answer, I just have to get moving right now.
Kevin
Thanks- no rush, I have the workaround so I'm operational....
Ok Jim,
I just tried to reproduce the problem you're having.
In DC, I made a circle with a solid line. I selected it, copied it and pasted it into a word doc and it worked fine. I also threw some text within the circle, selected all and pasted into word, again, with no problem. Unless I'm missing something, it may just be that you are not selecting the circle along with your text? One way of selecting everything you want copied is to click outside of the area you want copied, then drag the mouse over the area, and then click again. You should see everything selected (red). Then, on the top menu (not the DC tabs) click edit, copy, then paste in word.
Another way to be more selective of what you want copied is to click the "select" tab, click on an object you want copied, (it will turn red) hold down the Ctrl button and select to add another object to be copied. Do this as much as you want then click edit at the top and copy.
Let me know if this helps.
Kevin
Hm, thanks Kevin.....

No, I'm sure I'm selecting the circle, making double sure it's red. I've done it by lassoo-ing with the mouse and ctrl-click on separate items.

Just tried it again in fact, solid circle, select, copy / paste no joy... put some text in the circle and repeat, it works.

Funny thing is, when the circle is copied into Word, it does make a sqaure with sizing handles, like it's there, but the circle is invisible!

When this first happened I even uninstalled DC and re-installed, still the same. Then installed on a different PC, same problem!

Both PCs though have word 2003 and Win XP.... I wonder if that's significant? I'm going to put it on my son's PC- he's got Vista

Anyway, no point losing sleep on it, as long as I remember to put some invisible text in, it's working...
(03-19-2009, 05:50 AM)JimBrown Wrote: Just tried it again in fact, solid circle, select, copy / paste no joy... put some text in the circle and repeat, it works.

Funny thing is, when the circle is copied into Word, it does make a sqaure with sizing handles, like it's there, but the circle is invisible!
Definitely something strange there. I'll look into it more over the course of the day. Maybe someone else might have a clue as well.
Ok, it seems to be a Word setting maybe.

As I said, in Word I see the box with sizing handles. If I right click in the box and choose Edit Picture the circle is there.... just click outside anywhere and it remains visible. Might have something to do with being at front or back... or something!!!!
Jim, do you have the same problem if you try copying and pasting a single line, or shape other than a circle?
No, it's only a circle- and a circle with a solid outline at that. Dotted circles are ok, and I just re-checked with a single line, no problem.

If I draw a solid line circle, select, copy, paste it doesn't work, then I edit the circle to make it dotted, select, copy, paste it works fine! Or as I said if there was text inside the select loop, it worked ok with a solid lined circle anyway- which is why I had never noticed the problem a while back.

But Kevin, don't hassle about it, please- I'll now just right click in the box and edit picture, then click outside and it stays visible.
JimBrown Wrote:I tried to attach a file, couldn't get it to attach. If I figure that out I'll post again.

What type of file where you trying to attach? (extension)

What size is it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copying from one drawing to another cshort 1 2,507 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: i44troll
  copying one layer to another Partimer 6 6,671 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Last Post: i44troll