Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
copying one layer to another
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've used this forum and am NOW just figuring out how to use it...I think!!

My pc operating system is XP Home, I think 32bit. Using DC Version 6.0, I've never been able to figure out the process of copying an object from one layer to another layer. The "Help" area, just doesn't make it clear to me. Sad This is what I've tried so far:
1) Made the layer "Current" that I wanted to copy from
2) Clicked "S" on the "Select" tab,
3) Hi-lited the object I wanted to copy (it turned red)
4) Clicked on "Copy"
5) Clicked on "Move Selected Objects"
6) Clicked on the "View" tab
7) Clicked on the "Layer" I wanted to copy it to
8) Made that layer current, leaving the previous layer still "On"
9) Whatever I've done from here on...doesn't work

Help!

Now what??
Partimer,

Good to see you back!

First, let me tell you that I deleted your second post because it was a bit redundant and i'll be answering all your questions here in this posting.

There are many problems with the way you are trying to move your objects, so Instead of trying to break it down little by little i'll just start from scratch to show you the easiest way to do what you want to accomplish.

First of all, if you are wanting to change the layer of an object you must have already created the "destination" layer first. Think of it as if you are moving from one house to another, wouldn't make much sense to pack your things without knowing where you were going does it? So, one of the very first things you do BEFORE drawing anything in CAD is to determine what layers are needed so that they are created ahead of time. Layers can be created at any time, so don't worry if you forget to include some of them at this point.

Now that you have created all the layers needed for your drawing you can move objects around to different layers easily. It makes absolutely no difference what layer you are currently in because all the layers are "on" (viewable) by default unless you specifically turn them off, so you should be able to view and manipulate any object at this point.

To change the layer of an object.............................

This will ALL be done from within the "select" tab

So....
  1. click on the "select" tab
  2. Choose the large "S" (select) button
  3. Click on the object that you want moved
  4. click on the "change layer of selected objects" button
  5. Double-click on the layer you want to move the object to
  6. Click OK

Your object was just moved to the layer of your choice!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another way........
  1. click on the "edit" tab
  2. Choose the large "E" (edit) button
  3. Click on the object that you want moved
  4. click on the "layer" drop-down box
  5. Click on the layer you want to move the object to
  6. Click OK

Your object was just moved to the layer of your choice!

And yet...another way.....

You can use the "copy object properties" button from the "edit" tab to select SEVERAL objects to move simply by changing the properties of the "first" selected object, (that is changing the layer of that object) then clicking on all the objects needing moved thereafter. This is a very FAST way of getting the job done. Make sure, however, that you choose to make changes to layers ONLY, otherwise you might make unwanted changes without knowing it.

Now that you know how to change the layer of an object you may want to read about a little trick I use at times when I have alot of entities to draw in many layers. This is from our "tips and tricks" section of the forum. do you forget to select the proper layer when drawing?

Hope this helps

Chris "i44troll"

Thank you Chris!! I'm glad to be back!
The 1st method you showed me is so cool! It took me awhile to find the "change layer of selected objects" button.
since I've never used it before. I tried your 2nd method but can't get it to work! The problem I have is with step 3,clicking on the object I want moved. How do I click on the whole object and not just a few lines? I haven't tried your 3rd method, but will do so now.
Gosh!

It just dawned on me that you are trying to "copy" an object to another layer so that it will be present on both layers, correct?

If so do this........
  1. select the object(s)
  2. set a "base point" on any part of the object(s) (if selecting a circle use the center)
  3. click the copy button making sure it turns "red"
  4. click on the "move selected objects" button
  5. "anchor" (using the mouse pointer) the selection in the same EXACT location as your previous base point
  6. this creates an identical object "on top" of the original object
  7. change the layer of the object(s) you just created (note: this will affect the topmost object only and will leave the original object on its original layer)

Now you have an identical object on two separate layers.

NOTE: these are now two separate objects. Even though they appear to be occupying the same space they must be edited separately. Make sure you edit them while you are in the correct layer or you may accidentally change its layer.

Hope this helps!

Chris "i44troll"

Partimer,

First, use the large "new reply" button on the top or bottom of the thread, this will keep you from copying the entire post in your replies (in other words, don't use the smaller "reply" button directly below the last posting.

Secondly,

If you use the second option you are limited to only one object at a time.

The first and third option allows you to select multiple items.

Chris
Thank you, Chris!
Whatever process I used...it left a copy on my original layer and copied another to the layer where I wanted it! The reason I used "Copy", is that if it didn't work, I didn't want to lose it forever!

Also, thanks for giving me a "heads up" on how to use this forume! It's much appreciated!

Regarding the 3rd option...I think I'll play with that alot before I use it on something serious, as I may forget to make sure ONLY the layer is checked on the left side of the screen! I did it the first time and didn't uncheck anything, so I don't know what happened to my other layers!

Regarding the second option you gave me; let me try that one again and I'll see if I can just move the item. I'll be back.
Partimer,

Here's something I tell my students to do before they sample or otherwise try out something new.

Save your work! Nobody will be more upset than you if you lose it! Save your work!

As long as you save your work before you try something risky you'll never be disappointed if it fails.Wink Just don't resave it if it fails

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused Layer and Layer Object Color IanL 1 1,872 06-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Copying from one drawing to another cshort 1 2,507 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: i44troll
  Copying a circle JimBrown 13 16,922 03-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Sparky