Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing lines inside of an object?
Hi Guys
I will describe this issue as best I can. I am trying to draw and object similar to a cone. Both the top and bottom of the cone are rounded. I first drew a 4" circle and then a 2" circle. The center points are approx 4" apart. I then connected the outside of each circle (on both sides w/ a line. That gives me the shape i need. After doing that I need to select and erase the parts of the two circles that remain inside the part or cone. When I try to select, it wants to select the whole circle and I cant seem to figure out how to select only the part of the circle that is inside the drawing or part. I will be creating tool paths for this part and need to get rid of those before exporting to a cam program.
Thanks in advance, I hope I have described it well enough to give a mental image.
S
Hi STC1,

You described it very well. Thanks.

It's really pretty simple to do, though not always obvious. Ha, I even had to play a little to refresh my brain as to where that 'Split' function was. Rolleyes

Just click on the EDIT tab, then click on the 'Split' button (line with a dot in the center) then select the circle you wish to split and set the points where the lines intersect the selected circle (it will slide the cursor and snap to each of those points. Click the mouse to set each split point. You have now split the circle into two arcs.

Now, while still in the EDIT tab, click on the Erase (Er) button and just click on the part of the circle you want to remove. - Poof!

You'll have it done faster than it took you to read this. Wink LOL

Just curious, what CAM software are you using?

Anyway, hope that helps and enjoy CNCing.
Chris - "The Boss"
Ha! I must be getting slow Boss!

An alternate way to do this is to first make sure you have your centerpoints marked, then erase your circles and replace them using the "Draw a circular arc using the center" icon. This will give you the freedom to start and stop your arc on each of your line endpoints giving you a full arc with no breaks in between. The problem I always had with the split button was that it creates two breaks 180
Not slow, i44troll, I just happened to be on about 5 minutes after he posted. Tongue

Anyway, I tried it and it didn't create two points automatically. I had to set the two points myself. However, it seemed it would only allow setting those split points at existing intersecting points and not elsewhere on the circle. It also seemed that two points had to be set or it wouldn't complete the split operation on the existing circle.

Hmmm, but then again, maybe it did create the 180 split as you say and I just didn't notice as the intersecting lines where directly across from each other on the circle. Dodgy
Boss,
You do set the points manually but the actual "break" is what I was talking about. Clicking the mouse the first time selects the circle to be broken giving you the ability to move your breakpoint around your circle to define where you want it to be broken (unlike in version 6). When you click the mouse the second time it "sets" the break point, but it also places another break in the circle 180
Thanks Chris
I will give that a shot!

(04-07-2010, 09:04 AM)The Boss Wrote: Hi STC1,

You described it very well. Thanks.

It's really pretty simple to do, though not always obvious. Ha, I even had to play a little to refresh my brain as to where that 'Split' function was. Rolleyes

Just click on the EDIT tab, then click on the 'Split' button (line with a dot in the center) then select the circle you wish to split and set the points where the lines intersect the selected circle (it will slide the cursor and snap to each of those points. Click the mouse to set each split point. You have now split the circle into two arcs.

Now, while still in the EDIT tab, click on the Erase (Er) button and just click on the part of the circle you want to remove. - Poof!

You'll have it done faster than it took you to read this. Wink LOL

Just curious, what CAM software are you using?

Anyway, hope that helps and enjoy CNCing.
Chris - "The Boss"

Oh ya , I am using cut 2d from Vectric.
Thanks again! I will let you know if I can do it.ShyShy
Okie dokie...Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educate me... inside radius tony 10 9,160 01-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO