Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New computer - bad drawings transfer
We installed a new computer at work. My drawings and files were backed up by Carbonite. We retrieved all the drawings, but they are not "crisp and sharp". The horizontal and vertical lines are fine, but all the angled lines and circles are "jagged". Changing he pixel count does not help.

The new computer has MicroSoft Windows 7 OS. The monitor was not replaced, only the computer.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

DavidJ
Hmm..I was going to suggest checking your screen resolution but I guess you did that already. However, do you have the proper drivers installed for your monitor and video card or are they the generic default drivers.

I'm not using Windows 7 so I'm not sure of the path to check that. Perhaps someone familiar with it can help if you're unable to find the installed driver lists.

BTW, "DavidJ", I'm glad you were successful with logging-in. Sorry about the troubles and welcome to the Group. Smile
A smarter person than I (much smarter) checked all the drivers and checked for updates on the internet and everything seems to be "operating properly". The lines are still "jagged". The drawings print out better than they look on the monitor. However, it is difficult to do precision work when the project is distorted. Still looking for answers. Are we having fun yet?

DavidJ
David,

Are you uploading these files as deltacad (*.dc) files and then retrieving them in the same format? If they were exported/ imported as jpeg files that would account for the roughness.

chris
Chris, I don't know the answer to that. I will contact Carbonite and ask them how the files are backed up on their end, and how the files are retrieved on my computer. The drawings do have the *.dc designation now, but I have no idea what happened during the transition process.

Thanks for the idea. I will get back with y'all later.

DavidJ
- Whats happens when you open a sample drawing, do you get the same result?
- Can you post a screen shot?
- What type of monitor are you using CRT or LCD? Sounds like LCD and the resolution is set too low on Win7 for that type of monitor.
- Since it's a new PC w/ Win7 after installing DeltaCAD did you adjust the screen within DC?
David,

Never thought to ask if your drawings come out crisp before you uploaded them. (that is, are you able to produce crisp drawings with your present hardware setup?)
i44troll brings up a good point...

...create a drawing on the new system and see if the results are the same as the backed-up files or the files prior to the back-up.

Craw a circle, a square and a couple of diagonal lines at various degrees of inclination. (for instance -- 5, 20 and 45 degrees)

Incidentally, I'm pretty positive that DeltaCad does not save .dc files as a graphic, but simply as a data file, which should have no affect on the screen display resolution which would lead me to believe that it's a screen resolution setting issue.

Just out of curiosity, do text characters, either using DeltaCad or not, look jagged?

With that in mind, do any of the following text characters look jagged to you? (look close - but not too close. We wouldn't want you to ruin your eyes. lol Wink)

A B C X Z Y 7 2 3
(07-17-2010, 09:11 AM)i44troll Wrote: David,

Never thought to ask if your drawings come out crisp before you uploaded them. (that is, are you able to produce crisp drawings with your present hardware setup?)

A lady at Carbonite suggested I get the latest version of DeltaCad. I am currently using 6.0 and there is a Version 7.0 out now which specifically states it is for Windows 7. She may be on to something. I will try the 7.0 and see what happens.

Thanks to you all for your help.

David

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer deltacad to new computer Ljw 6 5,581 09-17-2014, 04:20 AM
Last Post: jw48
  How to transfer DetlaCad 7 to a new computer budkey 1 2,724 09-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Last Post: i44troll