Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The curious case of 'Snap to Center'
Sad 
I cannot find how to access the so called sub functions of "Snap to the nearest point either

One post stated that "Select 'Snap to Nearest Point'. The sub-functions 'Snap to Center' and 'Snap to Midpoint' appear."

My question is how do you make these sub functions appear, where and how they appear if and when you can select them. I never can find text instructing a key press or a button to click on.  
Click on 'View' in the top menu to access.
Also:
In the lower right corner there might be a box with an X in it.

That means the Snap is OFF.

Click on the box with the X and it will change to a red cross-hair and a circle with a dot and a line with a dot in the middle.
That means Snap is ON to an object.

Click the circle with a dot to set the snap to the center of a circle or click the line with a dot to set the snap to the middle of a line.

Click on the red cross-hair and it will change to 9 dots.
That means it will Snap to the Grid which is setup in the View/Grid... menu.

Click on the 9 dots and it will change back to the box with an X in it again (Snap is Off).

In the DeltaCad Help, go to Getting Started / Mouse for comprehensive description.
(04-16-2020, 09:02 PM)williamj Wrote: Click on 'View' in the top menu to access.
Clicking on the top menu "View" to access does show "Snap to the nearest point" function. When I checkmark on the right side of that function, despite that a box does not appear until after the checkmark is made. The question remains how do you choose and click on sub functions that don't appear anywhere? You can't click on either function that is invisible.
"Snap to the nearest point" has always worked fine when you never knew  that the app had any sub functions available to use..
c1sanford, I'm not sure that I understand which "sub-functions" you are referring to.
(04-18-2020, 07:55 AM)williamj Wrote: c1sanford, I'm not sure that I understand which "sub-functions" you are referring to.
Reportedly a user cans select a line and the app will find and snap to the center of the line. Similary, a user can select circle and the app will find and snap to the center of the circle.
Quote:The question remains how do you choose and click on sub functions that don't appear anywhere? You can't click on either function that is invisible.

"Snap to center" and "Snap to midpoint" sub-functions can be accessed by the following steps below.

Click the "View" menu then click "Snap to Nearest Point" then look in the bottom right corner of your screen
you will see a red cross-hair and just below that you will see a circle with a dot and a line with a dot in the middle of the line.
Click on the thumbnail below to enlarge.

If you click on the circle with the dot this sets the snap point to the center of a circle.
If you click on the line with the dot this sets the snap to the middle of a line.

Other notes:
These are usually only good for one snap. 
You will have to select "Snap to center" again if you want the 2nd snap to be in the center of a circle 
or select "Snap to midpoint" again if you want the 2nd snap to be in the middle of a line.

On a Windows computer snaps can also be set on the keyboard:
"Snap to center" is set by pressing "CTRL+SHIFT+C" keys at the same time
"Snap to midpoint" is set by pressing "CTRL+SHIFT+M" keys at the same time

In the DeltaCad "Help", go to "Getting Started / Mouse" for more snap information.
And go to "Getting Started / Keyboard" for keyboard shortcuts.
If you have a Mac computer these keyboard shortcuts won't work.

Also reread my post #13 for direct access to the snap functions.
WoW  Thanks Al, I didn't know that.
Something I don't understand is if you select "Snap to center" (circle with dot in center) and then select a line, it still snaps to the midpoint of the line.