Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Uppercase Omega
Hi all, I'm back looking for assistance once more,

Is there a way to get an Omega (uppercase) symbal into DeltaCad's font library? I'm quite stumped on this. I've tried drawing the Omega symbol but to no avail (looks horrible).

thanks for any and all considerations,
williamj
Bill,

If the font you are using contains the omega symbol you will be able to see it if you use Deltacads 'extended keyboard' which is found in the same dialog box that comes up when you edit text (EDIT tab, then select the "E", then click on the text to edit) you should see the extended button at the bottom of the dialog box. This same 'Extended Keyboard" can be accessed by pressing the function key F12, however, the extended keyboard can only be used while editing text, so using F12 to bring it up is pointless.

I tried to find a font that contained the omega symbol but was only able to locate it in the 'Symbol' font set. You won't be able to switch from one font set to another within the same text box, so, here's a solution......

1) Create your text using your preferred font set
2) Leave enough space (use the spacebar, do not underscore) in the text to include the omega symbol (you will be adding the omega symbol later)
3) Choose the TEXT tab again and change the font to 'Symbol'. Make sure you select the appropriate font size.
4) Find a location away from any other text and type a capitalized "W", then press ENTER. You should now have your omega symbol!
5) You can now select the omega symbol and move it into the open space in your text.

Have fun!

Chris "i44troll"
Chris,

Thank you very much, it worked beautifully! How'd you get so smart?!?! Big Grin

williamj

Chris,

Back again, just made a symbol of the symbol font. I keyed the entire keyboard (upper and lower case) and put the corrisponding symbol font symbol directly under each character and saved the whole thing as one symbol. Now when ever I need a character from the symbol font all I need do is open the symbol library and place the symbol font symbol in my work space then copy paste which ever symbol I need. No quess no mess.

Thanks again,
williamj
That's a good idea to create a symbol file for your font characters. you may also want to create different pt sizes for each one as well.
Chris,

Don't have to... You can change pt size with the Edit Object data. Just tried it and it works great.

williamj
Bill,
Now you've done something that I haven't done! You're Right! It still maintains it as a font if saved as a symbol file. Great find William!

....just got back from playing a little bit with this....
I wanted to see if I could combine text to a drawing and save it to a symbol file without losing the ability to edit text......
SmileSmileSmile Works the same! SmileSmileSmile

I guess I've never considered saving text as a part of my symbol files before, what a great find!

Chris
Nudge-Nudge
Idea HINTS & TIPS! -- HINTS & TIPS! Idea
TongueHeartTongue

Great discovery "Williamj"! Cool
And, as always, kudos to "i44troll" for your great & easy-to-follow instructions.

Also, any collection(s) of 'text'_usage.sym file(s) would be a great addition to our site's Member Submitted Symbols pages, where usage would be the type of drawing those text symbols would typically be used on/for. (i.e. Schematic, Engineering, Mathematical, Architectural, etc.)
Bill,

I think the Bosses .....

Nudge-Nudge
Idea HINTS & TIPS! -- HINTS & TIPS! Idea
TongueHeartTongue

...is aimed at you!

When you get your symbol file complete why not share it with others by submitting it in our symbols download section. You can also add this new find to the 'hints and tips' forum as well. Members are more likely to utilize it if they see it in that area. Once again, GREAT FIND!

Chris "i44troll"
Okayyyy,

I don't have an istalled mail client on my computer. I do all my email through Hotmail, it's all online. Who do I mail the file submission form to?

Confused Smile
williamj
Me. Wink

See our FAQ forum area for details.

THX