Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
create symbol
I'm new to deltacad I have worked with SDRC "Ideas" for a long time which seems very similar. I want to simply draw a small detail and load it into the symbols library so that I can use it any time. The help function tells me to load it on to clipboard via the copy function. I do this and then go to the library and "add symbol". Nothing happens ! Seems like should be easy. Can anyone lead me thru? Thanks Bill
Hi Bill and welcome to DeltaCad User's Group,
  • ‘Select” and then ‘Copy’ the object you want to save as a ‘Symbol’
  • Go to ‘Files, and in the drop down menu select ‘Symbols’
  • In the ‘Copy symbols to clipboard’ menu select the file where you want the symbol added (or add a new file by using the “New Symbol File” button in the lower left corner).
  • Give you symbol a name in the ‘File name:’ drop down menu (just select with cursor and key in the name desired)
  • Click “Add Symbol”. Your new symbol will be saved as a symbol from the clipboard.

Hope this helps
Welcome to the forums, Bill.

'williamj' pretty much nailed it....

Just make sure you're using the Copy option in the Edit drop-down menu at the top to copy the file to the clipboard and NOT clicking on the Edit tab, which will 'un-select' the highlighted selection leaving 'nothing selected' to copy.

Hint: If you have a bunch to do, learn the keyboard short-cuts as given in the drop-down menus at the top.

If you have a bunch of basic drawing components on a single drawing page, you can knock out quite a few in short-order -- once you get a rhythm going. --- That's how I did the Osborne Wd Products.sym file, after I had imported, converted and combined them all on a single drawing page, that is. Wink
I'm with The Boss on this, I've selected and saved whole groups of objects as a single symbol. That way I have all the "symbols" I need on my workspace all at the same time. Then, when I'm finished, I just delete all that I haven't used in my drawing.

Saves a whole lot of going back and forth to the symbols library.
That's not quite what I meant, williamj. That's simply the method I used to process and subsequently add and catalog them into a single symbol file for future retrieval. I did not save the drawing file containing all of those individual drawings after completing that process.
(10-12-2014, 08:59 AM)williamj Wrote: Hi Bill and welcome to DeltaCad User's Group,
  • ‘Select” and then ‘Copy’ the object you want to save as a ‘Symbol’
  • Go to ‘Files, and in the drop down menu select ‘Symbols’
  • In the ‘Copy symbols to clipboard’ menu select the file where you want the symbol added (or add a new file by using the “New Symbol File” button in the lower left corner).
  • Give you symbol a name in the ‘File name:’ drop down menu (just select with cursor and key in the name desired)
  • Click “Add Symbol”. Your new symbol will be saved as a symbol from the clipboard.

Hope this helps

Thanks William J and Boss ! I will give this a shot in morning..... Bill
Thanks again William J and Boss. I now have this under control and symbol creation is working fine
Glad we could help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to create a Symbol File AlwMVMO 1 1,550 10-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bigmetalpaul