Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross Hatching
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. I am realitively new at this particular CAD program and I was wondering if there is any cross hatch for wood grain? I mainly use this program to generate plans for R/C model aircraft. I am trying to simulate balsa wood. Any suggestions/help? :question:

Thanks,

Tom
I've been looking for the same type of thing for house plans. It would be easier to differentiate solid walls from windows. Or in remodeling, it would indicate new walls to be constructed/added.

I should think a macro could be created to do this. A symbol could be made but it would require snapping the "grain lines" to the outline of the "wood" object.

Unfortunately, our one (sharing) macro writer has been missing since we recovered from our very unfortunate and extended down period. I'm afraid he may not return. You can try to contact him via email. His user name here is "cheez". Click on the "member list", near the top, to get to his profile/email link.

He hasn't responded to any of my emails as yet. Good luck.
Maybe we'll have another macro writer share or join at some time.

Perhaps the cross-hatch patterns are editable/modifiable. HMMM....would be a good idea for a tutorial, if they are, and a reasonable representation of wood grain can be created. Maybe I'll drop a line to Midnight Software and ask them, if we don't get an answer here.

Note: I may move this thread to 'file requests'. But for now, I'll leave it here. Since a symbol or macro file may not be needed and it's a good a place as any to ask.
Here is the response I received from Midnight Software, Inc. regarding this:

"Sorry, but there is no way to create more hatch patterns.

Many people draw a small pattern, then make it into a group, and copy it
many times.

Sincerely yours,

Midnight Software, Inc."

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure, but it's something.

Any ideas from others appreciated.
Thanks for sending the question to Midnight Software. Maybe I'll try to make it into a group and copy it to were I need it.

Thanks again,

Tom
Sorry for not visiting for a while, I haven't needed to draw anything for a while.
I understand what the problem is, but I don't know if there are macro commands that would easily allow this. If it is possible, it might be pretty complicated. I think the first place to start is to use a spline or elipse to create a woodgrain pattern.
Without a macro, I've done it by dividing the edges and a diagonal with the midpoint tool, into the desired amount of grains. Then use the 3 point eliptical arc tool to draw the grains. When you run out of points, you can either use the offset point tool or eyeball more points to draw the elipses from. Any arcs that go outside the box can be split to delete the extraneous sections. You should zoom in to split the arcs more accurately if needed. The split tool doesn't recognize the intersection of a line and an arc.
For long, narrow pieces you can just put a bunch of midpoints on the long edges, and draw a bunch of three point eliptical arcs with endpoints on the long edges and guesstimating the middle point.
To do either of these with splines might be considerably harder because you can't split a spline and delete sections without changing it's shape.
It may be possible to make a macro to make a basic eliptical grain pattern, but I think it would still take some manual work to clean up all the tag ends of the partial arcs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loosing CROSS-HATCH when saving/exporting Bill Bagge 5 4,845 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Last Post: williamj