Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical Issue Accuracy of Angular Dimensions
Hi,
    I've just come across something strange which I don't understand.

I wanted to know the angle of an 8tpi thread on a 3/4" shaft. In metric terms this is close enough to a thread pitch of 3.2mm on a 19mm shaft diameter so the thread angle can be represented by a right angle triangle with non-hypotenuse sides of 3.2mm and 19mm. Rather than calculate the angle, I initially drew the triangle on deltacad and measured the angle using the angular dimension function. I got an answer of 9.6 degrees. I then checked this using the trig formula:

Tan (angle) = 3.2/19

The answer I got was 10.6 degrees. I think this is correct but I don't understand why the angular dimension function gave me a different answer.

Has anyone got any explanation or have I made a silly mistake somewhere along the line?

Regards,
Alan
I got Tan (9.46) x .75 = .125 or Tan (9.56) x 19  = 3.2
If you are calculating in radians multiply the angles by pi/180 or .01745329

ArcTan(.125/.75) = 9.4623 or ArcTan(3.2/19) = 9.5601 --- (this would round up to 9.6 using .1 decimal accuracy)
If you are calculating in radians divide the answers by pi/180 or .01745329

Also when I drew it in DeltaCad I got the same answers.

Side adjacent =.75, side opposite=.125, hypotenuse=.7603,      angle=9.4623
Side adjacent=19,   side opposite=3.2,   hypotenuse=19.2676,  angle=9.5601 --- (this would round up to 9.6 using .1 decimal accuracy)

https://www.mathopenref.com/trigtangent.html

I thought most V-thread angles were about 60 degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_angle
Hi,
     I'm sorry for raising this. It turns out my calculator was set for grads rather than degrees which of course gave the wrong answer. I must be getting old!!
The thread I was looking at was an acme thread on a lathe lead screw and the angle I was after was the angle the thread makes when looking at the screw from the side. I'm looking to make a thread dial indicator and I need to know the angle to set the shaft holding the gear which will engage with the lead screw.
Thanks for the help.
Alan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educate me... Dimensioning Accuracy. Decimal vs Fractions rodalsa 4 3,768 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO