Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Technical Issue Dimension - Angle - No visual dimension lines displayed!
I searched extensively for what I term the "Specifications for Deltacad" on the Internet.  Failing that I proceeded to answer the question for myself with a somewhat "definitive" answer for; "What is the smallest angle that Deltacad can resolve?"

Using a grid of (0.0001, 0.0001), Snap to nearest point.  An origin at (0.0000. 3.0000), I worked as follows...

I generated a drawing working with the dimensioning of small angles with DeltaCad 7 Professional. By iterating the y value of the left (as viewed) end of a line (-2000.0000,y) that has a common right end (0.0000,3.0000) in such a way as to move the left end (-2000.0000, y + delta y) , I found that at certain small angles associated with y the program ceases to display the usual arrow heads while prompting me to select the insertion point for the angle's value.  I changed the view scale over wide ranges looking for those elusive arrows.

Working with the iterative process described above, I found that the disappearance occurred at angles below 0.5000
degrees.  In fact things were a bit more unusual.  The opposite side of my test triangle was (-2000.0000, 17.4537) with the angle dimension presented normally as  0.5000 degrees.  Choosing the opposite side at (-2000.0000, 17.4502) produced an angular measurement of 179.5001 degrees.  I could not find a way to  display the value between the adjacent and hypotenuse of the triangle as I could with angles greater than 0.5000 degrees.  Since Microsoft's Calculator calculates the angle using trigonometry techniques as 0.49989, rounding it to 4 decimal places  gives me 0.4999 which is 180.0000 - 179.5001.  You should note that the two lines referenced here at (-2000.0000, y) were overlapping each other at a view scale of 0.003.

While looking for the insertion point for the value of the angle that turned out to be 179.5001 degrees the dimension arrows appeared and disappeared as I varied the view scale.

Perhaps 0.5000 is not the smallest angle that Deltacad 7.0 Professional can resolve.  From my experience things do get a bit harry below that value. 
 I thought that this jpg might clarify my point...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Rodalsa,

First I want to thank you not only for your efforts but for your willingness to share your efforts. Your willingness to share your experiences with DeltaCad is what this forum is all about.

I've read your post (several times), and your attention to detail boggles my mind. So, to imitate, in a more uncomplicated manner, your work I tried the following.

I drew two lines, one on top of the other, thirty feet in length. I then selected the top line and set a new base point on the left end of the top line. I then choose "rotate selection" and pivoted the top line, at the new base point, 0.25 degrees. I then went to the right end of the two lines and took an angled dimension measurement and got a reading of 0.2500. So I am currently assuming that to get a dimensional angle reading below 0.5, in DeltaCad, is dependent on line length.
I was able to dimension two lines at 0.0001 degrees but it wouldn't dimension two lines at 0.00001 degrees. 
I tried 10.0 inch line length and 1.0 line length. This is using Version 8.
I suppose 0.00002 deg. thru 0.00009 deg. could be tried.
(08-14-2018, 06:03 PM)williamj Wrote: Hi Rodalsa,

First I want to thank you not only for your efforts but for your willingness to share your efforts. Your willingness to share your experiences with DeltaCad is what this forum is all about.

I've read your post (several times), and your attention to detail boggles my mind. So, to imitate, in a more uncomplicated manner, your work I tried the following.

I drew two lines, one on top of the other, thirty feet in length. I then selected the top line and set a new base point on the left end of the top line. I then choose "rotate selection" and pivoted the top line, at the new base point, 0.25 degrees. I then went to the right end of the two lines and took an angled dimension measurement and got a reading of 0.2500. So I am currently assuming that to get a dimensional angle reading below 0.5, in DeltaCad, is dependent on line length.

Thanks williamj for your response.  

I duplicated your test.  I could not dimension the angle.  The bottom line here thus seems to be that I have a compromised installation of Deltacad 7.0.  I had thought about that earlier but decided to post in order to get others input.  I will now re-install 7.0 and see what happens.

Thanks again

Rod
(08-16-2018, 05:08 AM)rodalsa Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 06:03 PM)williamj Wrote: Hi Rodalsa,

Thanks williamj for your response.  

I duplicated your test.  I could not dimension the angle.  The bottom line here thus seems to be that I have a compromised installation of Deltacad 7.0.  I had thought about that earlier but decided to post in order to get others input.  I will now re-install 7.0 and see what happens.

Thanks again

Rod

The results:  Re-installation failed to correct the problem.  I upgraded to Version 8.0.  Problem solved. 

Past that I looked into changing the line widths at Options \ Drawing data ....  Testing that revealed that I could
increase and decrease the line widths as suggested but not for individual lines.  All of them on the sheet changed!
This was implied in the structure of the Options \ Drawing data... dialog but still shocks one to observe it happening.

Take care out there!

Rod

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dimension/Area has stopped working Carbonman 3 476 03-01-2022, 12:24 AM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Drawing Hexagon using across flats dimension alanc 7 9,361 06-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Last Post: i44troll
  Macro to set Dimension Precision Type jdxtr 1 2,347 01-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Version 4 vs 7 dimension inaccuracy rodalsa 5 5,036 10-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Admin 1
  dimension character size Partimer 11 14,586 04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Partimer