Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise me... Dimensions in feet and inches
I made the plunge and bought DeltaCad. I will be glad when I can find my way around it more comfortably. I am having trouble getting the dimension to display in feet and inches. No problem with decimals. I am using Vers. 8 on Windows 10.

I start a new drawing, size B. (I tried A too) and select feet and 1/8" = 1' as the scale. I've selected .01, 3 1/8 and others under dimensions. I will draw a line, say 10' 5 1/2" long. No matter what I select, it will not show the feet and inches format. The closest I've gotten is on a line with no fraction callout. Put it shows 10 with the 1 over the 2 for 1/2". And no ' or ".

My normal process is to use the grid and "map out" how long to draw the lines. Entering a line length on the keyboard doesn't work either.

I looked through the manual and read the forum posts, but in my case reading does not mean understanding.

I appreciate you help.
thanks
I've not had any of the difficulties that you've stated. All I do is click on the "Dimensions" tab. Then where it shows 0.01 click the down arrow, a menu will drop down with the feet and inches categories at the bottom.

Maybe setting the scale interferes with the dimensioning.
A line can be drawn using the feet and inches method.

Typing in 5' 6 1/2  ( or 5' 6 1/2"  double quotes for inches is optional ) for the length of a line is the same as 66.5 inches

and when you dimension it you would need to pick the 4' - 3 1/2" format.  (4' - 3 1/2" is not the dimension you will get it is just a sample of what it will look like)

Here is another thread about dimensioning ]
(03-18-2019, 11:25 PM)AlwMVMO Wrote: A line can be drawn using the feet and inches method.

Typing in 5' 6 1/2  ( or 5' 6 1/2"  double quotes for inches is optional ) for the length of a line is the same as 66.5 inches

and when you dimension it you would need to pick the 4' - 3 1/2" format.  (4' - 3 1/2" is not the dimension you will get it is just a sample of what it will look like)

Here is another thread about dimensioning ]

I gave it another go, several actually. I did get it to show the foot and inches. But I think what was throwing me off is my understanding or lack of understanding of the scale function.
I used the Grid to draw a horizontal line. I set the spacing of the grid points  to .125 to match the 1/8" = 1' scale I chose. I drew some connecting vertical lines and then dimensioned them. When I dimensioned a line that was 8 grid points long it said the line was 1". To my way of thinking it should have been 1' long.  The rest of the line spacing was the same. All indicated that the scale was a line drawn 8 grid points long dimensioned out as 1" long.
I have at times used the "Edit" tab and the "E" button to edit the actual text in the dimension.
(03-19-2019, 08:26 AM)williamj Wrote: I have at times used the "Edit" tab and the "E" button to edit the actual text in the dimension.

Thanks. That is what I ended up doing. I changed my Title Block from 1/8" = 1' to No Scale. 
Long term I will keep trying. Hopefully I will stumble onto the I can draw in a scale using the grid and have the dimensioning show and accurate dimension. Using the correct format.
Thanks again for your time.
    ray
Here is a YouTube tutorial video for [ Selecting the Correct Drawing Scale ]

Check out our other [ Tutorials ]

To make a 1' (one) foot line with 8 grid points your grid spacing would have to be 1.5 inch spacing.
(03-20-2019, 10:22 AM)AlwMVMO Wrote: Here is a YouTube tutorial video for [ Selecting the Correct Drawing Scale ]

Check out our other [ Tutorials ]

To make a 1' (one) foot line with 8 grid points your grid spacing would have to be 1.5 inch spacing.

"To make a 1' (one) foot line with 8 grid points your grid spacing would have to be 1.5 inch spacing."

I would never have guessed that.

I have looked at the tutorials. Maybe I should take up basket weaving.
Quote:williamj
I have at times used the "Edit" tab and the "E" button to edit the actual text in the dimension.
 This is actually a bad idea in a professional setting.
If changes were made by either you or a client then the design could be inaccurate.

I use to program CNC and drafter would just edit the dimension and not change the feature.
Then CNC code would be bad, I usually ended up in redrawing from scratch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dimensions in ft-inches Barry 10 13,333 10-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Entering a line length using feet/inches mstone 4 2,838 03-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: mstone