Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused Saving/Exporting Individual Layers???
I have a DXF file that is too large to be used "as is" in my Vectric CAM program VCarve Destop.

I opened it in DeltaCAD and began copying various portions of the original file into multiple layers.

I would now like to be able to save each individual layer to a separate DXF file. One at a time I have:

copied a section of the original to a "New" layer.

then "View" the new layer to verify the copy.

next I set the layer to "Make current".

next I tried "Save as" and also tried "Export"

However, after closing the original file, layers and all, whether I open or Import the "Saved" or "Exported" file, I find that the
entire file, "Default" and "Hand" and all Layers were saved.

I need to know how to save each of my newly created layers in separate DXF files.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill

p.s. What is the "hand" layer? Smile
Bill,

Welcome to the Deltacad User's Group Forums.

I have, from time to time, copied portions of a drawing and pasted them into a 'new' file and then named and saved that new file. I don't do a lot of work with layers but might I suggest that when you copy from the current layer all other layers are off.

Best of luck
 1.  Turn off all layers except the one you want to export.
 2.  Make sure all Objects are on the screen. You may have to zoom out a little if some are on the edge of the screen.
 3.  Then go to the Select tab and do a box select around all the objects.
 4.  Click on the Set the base point for the selected objects button. ( Button with a big dot in the center of it )
 5.  Type 0,0 and press the Enter key.
 6.  Then press and hold the Ctrl key then press the C key. ( This will copy your objects to the clipboard )
 7.  Open a New DeltaCad file. You don't have to close your original file. Another DeltaCad screen will open up over the original, it will probably be called Sheet1.
 8.  Press and hold the Ctrl key then press the V key.  ( This will paste your objects from the clipboard )
 9.  Type 0,0 and press the Enter key. ( This will paste it to the same location as in the original file )
10.  Export to DXF using the name of your choosing.

Close the second screen ( Sheet1 ) so the original file is showing.
Do steps 2 thru 11 for the other layers.

As for the Hand layer if you received the file from somebody else they must have created it.
DeltaCad only creates the default layer
Thanks guys. That worked just fine. 

I knew I should be able to use a "Sheet" from previous experience with another CAD program. 
However, when I selected "Help" and did a search for "Sheet", the only things related to sheet were found in the "Print" section and each of the four subjects referred to a "sheet of paper".

So, when I selected "New", thinking I was creating a new "File", the new window was labeled "Sheet 1".  Then it all made sense.  I could simply "Save" the sheet.

Thanks again for your time.

Bill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loosing CROSS-HATCH when saving/exporting Bill Bagge 5 4,838 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Last Post: williamj
  Need help with exporting as .dwg file oldgascar 9 9,799 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Admin 1