Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Export From Screen To File function in V7.0
I upgraded to V7.0 over the weekend.

When I attempt to use the Export From Screen (to jpeg,bmp) function with a resolution setting over 200DPI I lose parts of my drawing. It's fine at 200 DPI and below. This problem occured with a drawing created with V6.0 but heavily modified with V7.0

As a control, I just did a side by side export test with a different file (that was created/saved with V6.0) in both V6.0 and V7.0. V6.0 exported the file fine at resolutions up to 600 DPI. V7.0 starts losing entities at anything over 200 DPI.

I am running Windows XP on an Athlon 64 W/ 2GB of memory.

I sent Midnight Software an email yesterday, but it is too soon to expect a response.

I wanted to see if anyone else had seen the same problem or if it is unique to my system.

Thanks.
Welcome to the group, "DeltaCAD4ME". Smile

FYI: There is a patch for version 7.0 <here>.

If it has already been patched, it will tell you when run the "patch.exe" file.

I don't know if that will help with your problem, though.
Welcome DeltaCAD4ME,

I'm running version 7 under the Vista 64 bit system on my Dell Studio laptop and it works just fine, (with downloaded patch). I will say that the clarity of the produced image is at its best when viewed at 100% (jpg, that is). I was able to produce images up to 500 dpi with satisfactory results then tried at 720 dpi at which nothing was produced.

Chris
Thanks for the responses.

I have the latest patch on the DC website (12/1/09).

I'm running the 32 bit Media Center version of XP, with all updates.

I use the export feature to generate posters and presentation/training display boards (usually 24"x 36"). When export at 600 DPI (and 100% jpeg quality) they come out great for my needs. When traveling I had too many problems getting things printed out when trying to use DXF or DWG files. With the jpeg/bmp files I could stop in any OfficeMax/Staples etc. and get prints made easily.

I have never been able to export any drawing with a resolution over 600 DPI with V6.0 either- I just get an error message saying "insufficient memory".

I don't have another system at the moment to try another test on, so I'll just have to wait until Midnight Software gets back to me.

Thanks again!
The "insufficient memory" error is telling you that your system doesn't have enough reserve memory available to create a picture of that size. Midnight Software probably won't be able to resolve that problem since it's your system that's preventing it and not their software. You may need to shut-down some unneeded programs or processes using Task Manager.

Exclamation BE CAREFUL Exclamation
If you don't know what a given process is, and you shut it down, you might crash your system!
After many attempts I have made some progress. I can now get about 90% of my drawing to come out. The problem seems to revolve around how grouped entities are handled.

My drawings have may grouped items, and often groups made of groups. I need to seperate out different subsystems and sub assemblies in my work. I took a drawing and ran the "ungroup" macro on it. I now get around 90% of the drawing to export at 600DPI. I still come up missing some items that were formerly grouped, especialy if the formerly grouped entity was rotated and/or mirrored from the form in which it was originaly drawn.

I am going to try color next. After running the "ungroup" macro I'll change the entire drawing to black and white and re-export it. Maybe the entities are actualy there, but are set to the same color as the background which would render them invisible.

No word from the MS folks as yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PS:

I looked at my system memory usage- I killed all the processes I could. Even in normal configuration I was showing about 1.5 Gb of free ram. I set the page file size to 3X what the recommended amount was. None of these changes helped.
You might also want to enlarge your virtual RAM. I'm running XP pro with 3 gigs of ram chips installed plus configured w/2 gigs of VRam. I haven't had an out of memory issue in a long time but I do have to delete old files, compress them or move them to external (on-line) storage as I only have a wimpy 20 gig HD and I often get a 'low disk space' warning. Blush

I do have a second 80 gig HD in the system, but it's corrupted and therefore unusable. Most all of the files on it could be recovered, if I had a larger main or external HD, but that's my problem not yours. I have successfully recovered all the smaller files - now burned to CD. It was a curb found PC running Windows 98 that refused to boot because it was trying to load way too much junk at start-up. It originally only had 1 gig of RAM installed. Anyway...more than you needed to know...I digress. Wink

Good luck resolving your problem. And I do hope you can get it to do what you want it to do without issues.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educate me... Print/export in 100% scale rikard454 2 433 02-12-2022, 12:05 PM
Last Post: rikard454
  Point function buzzer69 3 1,718 09-15-2020, 12:23 PM
Last Post: buzzer69
  Educate me... Function Keys greentriumph 7 7,130 07-01-2016, 01:03 AM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  No DXF or DWG ability in save as or export sonofdoc 2 3,258 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Admin 1