Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Scale drawing for title block
Hi,

New user and programe seems easy to use, only problem I'm having is getting the drawing to scale into a title block.

If I draw a yard 40 meters by 20 meters how do I draw a title block to go around for printing. I can scale the drawing for printing to A3 but not in a title block.

If I import an existing template it is to small for rest of drawing, I realise i can draw a title for the drawing but it seems I would have to do that for each drawing.

Can I save the title as a emplate, but I think I would still have problems if I drew the next yard smaller or larger.

I realise I'm missing something simple so any advise appreciated.
A step by step would be appreciated.

PS I have read through the Help file and looked at tutorials but still confused.

I am probably more used to autocad model/paper space concept.

Thanks
FW,

Welcome to the group.

When you say "only problem I'm having is getting the drawing to scale into a title block", did you mean that you were having problems drawing within the borders of the print (a predefined template, that is) or that you want to resize the title block? Your wording is somewhat confusing because you don't "draw" in the title block, you use it for labeling the print. Please elaborate.

Chris
HI Chris,

Sorry for confusion I will try and clarify.

If I use a "template" titleblock, when I try and draw something bigger than the titleblock area i.e 40Meters x 20meters the tileblock is to small.

If I start a new drawing (without the template) I can draw an area the same size as above to scale OK but when I import the title block it is too small for the rest of the drawing.

What I think I want to do is be able to draw the items I want (landscape design) and then put a title block around it for printing.

I have have tried everything I can decipher from help and watching video tutorials but for the life of me I cant grasp the scaling concept of the program.

I use Autocad but I' looking for something easy to learn/use for my wife, all the rest of this program makes sense and is very user friendly, but this scaling for print has me beat.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig,

Ok, you had me confused with your use of "title block". What you are refering to is the "print area", or just simply the "print border" or "drawing border". The "title block" is only a portion of that print that identifies the drawing title and source information, who created it and when, etc. This is the title block....    

Centering and Scaling your drawing within a predefined space:
  1. Complete your drawing including dimension, notes, and other misc.
  2. Save your original drawing at full scale. (scaled drawings cannot be dimensioned properly).
  3. Open a drawing template of your choice (by selecting FILE/NEW from the menu bar)
  4. Create a centerpoint in that template by placing a point or crossing lines from corner-to-corner.
  5. (Back to your drawing) Select all entities of your drawing, including dimensions and notes. Remember, you cannot dimension properly AFTER you scale your drawing so make sure ALL of your dimensions are created before you scale anything!!.(go to the SELECT tab, "edit" in the menu bar, choose "select all", the click the "COPY" button within the select tab (next to the "line weight") it should turn RED
  6. Click on the "move selected objects button
  7. (Back to the Template) Now click on the centerpoint to anchor your drawing to the template.
  8. Click the "COPY" button agian to turn it off. (when turned OFF the COPY button will change its color back to black)
  9. While everything is still selected click on the "Sc" (scale) button to scale the selected objects. Enter a "factor" in the prompt at the bottom. You could use .9 to make your drawing smaller by 10% and 1.1 to make it larger by 10%.
  10. "ENTER" or "Right Mouse Click" to scale up or down by that factor
  11. OPTIONAL: While the drawing is selected you can also "Jog" it along the XY axis of your choice by clicking on the "Move Selected Objects" button and using the arrow keys on the keyboard to make incremental steps.
  12. Click on another tab or button to exit the scaling feature.

**Remember, you CANNOT enter correct dimensions to a drawing after it has been scaled up or down so make sure you have all the dimensions needed before doing these steps.**

Also, as you stated earlier, you can create your drawing first then create a custom border and title block since you will probably print everything on 8.5"x11" paper anyway (by default Deltacad prints ALL print regions, nothing left out), this way you can edit your drawing and dimensions without worry.
Hope this helps

Chris
Thanks Chris worked a treat.

Craig

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drawing Scale / Font Size Scribbler 10 12,555 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Last Post: i44troll
  Drawing scale in template Skubala 6 7,641 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Admin 1
  How to scale a drawing skycowboypaul 11 11,470 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Last Post: i44troll