Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing scale in template
Hi all,

I want to use the B-size drawing template for house plans - I'm doing an addition to my house. I have to do a plot plan (71' x 121') and a floor plan (46' x 26', roughly). Later I'll need to do all kinds of details, possibly in other scales. I'm anticipating 12-16 sheet in the permit package. The scale on the B-size template appears to be 1.0. I want to do the plot plan in 1/8"=1' (96) and the floor plan in 1/4"=1' (48).

How do I set up scales so that I can use feet as the drawing unit for the plot plan and inched for the floor plan, and have each display in the appropriate scale, on the B-size template.

Can I have different scales on different layers?

I don't want to have to do the conversions in my head (or calculator) to deal with three different scales (template, plot, floor plan) in on drawing.

Thanks for any help.
Skubala,

Please see the replies in <this thread>, which may be of some help.

You may also want to read i44troll's "Drawing Scale Explained" thread/tutorial.
You may also want to read i44troll's "Drawing Scale Explained" thread, which is listed in the "Possibly Related Threads..." section below.
[/quote]

Thanks, Boss. I looked at that thread and some videos and still had questions. So I sent i44troll a PM with some particulars.

My Q was more about setup of a new sheet. It seems that scaling affects the whole drawing, whenever you change it. "Change Scale" affects only selected items.

Part of the problem was that I opened a "new" drawing using B_Size from the list and left the scale at 1.0. When I changed it to 48, the lines got so heavy on the template (border and title block) that there was no space to draw. Vexing.

So the interaction between view scale and draw scale is funky. Can you have a different drawing scale on different layers. Hmmm - experiment. When I get to details on my addition, I might have 3 or 4 different scales on one sheet. I would hate to have to have separate sheets for 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and so on, but that might be the "easy" solution.

With luck, I'll have a nice example for the forum when I'm done.
You can have different scales, sort of, on one sheet. But the dimensions will use the drawing page scale calculate the numbers, so you'll have to calculate and edit the displayed dimension numbers to reflect the scale it's actually drawn at. So if the page scale is 1/4"-1' (my equals key isn't working) and your plot plan is 1/8"-1' then you would multiply the drawing dimension numbers by 2 and edit the number displayed.

Click the Select tab>click the dimension line to be edited>click the "E" (edit button) and replace the dimension value shown with the 'real' value.

I've done that on a number of occasions when including larger scaled 'Detail' drawings.
Skubala

give me a day to rest up, just got back from Kentucky to pick up a cnc router. I have started a reply to your request but put in draft because I'm not finished yet.

Chris
Thanks Boss and i44troll,

I'm just beginning to lay out my floor plan. Three rooms have walls - nothing more. On paper I would use layout lines and draw in my doors and windows first. In dCAD I'm putting in parallel lines 4" apart for the walls with space for features. Not liking in, but I'm just experimenting. I may just pretend I'm on paper.

My floor plan is in 1/8"=1' scale. Can I copy a "door" as an object and rescale it to put into a view at a different scale? And are there any libraries of shapes and objects out there in the ether?

Thanks,
Dave ....
Quote:Can I copy a "door" as an object and rescale it to put into a view at a different scale?
Yes.
Quote:And are there any libraries of shapes and objects out there in the ether?

DeltaCad does include some standard door and window symbols. (Open the File menu > click Symbols..) open the desired symbol file then select the symbol > click the Copy Symbol button. Go back to your drawing and open the Edit menu > click Paste ..position the object and click to add it to your drawing.)
(Note that those symbols are drawn using the Normal line thickness. Also they will scale to your defined drawing scale.)

Ohh...here's a hint:
A standard wall, with 1/2" sheet rock on both sides is actually 4 1/2" Same goes for exterior walls, except when 2x6 studs are used wich will actually be 6 1/2" thick when finished. If you're drawing the walls as bare unfinished stud walls, then use the actual 2x4 - 2x6 dimensions on your drawings, which are 3 1/2" and 5 1/2" respectively. Otherwise, when you actually build your addition, your wall layout locations could be off by an inch or more depending on how many interior walls there are.

It may seem like a minor detail, but believe me, it will save you some measuring headaches when you start building because the drawing dimensions won't match your actual layout measurements.

Just some other food for thought:
2x6 exterior walls are required by code in many areas (check with your local building inspector) and also most stock window and exterior door frames are made to fit that standard exterior wall thickness as well.

I would hate for you to have your permit denied because of something indicated (or not indicated) on your plan drawings thus requiring you to change your drawings and resubmitting them for approval again.

-- Or having to modify or special order your windows and exterior doors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  placing drawings to scale on template sheets AlwMVMO 1 489 08-23-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: AlwMVMO
  Drawing Scale / Font Size Scribbler 10 12,555 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Last Post: i44troll
  How to scale a drawing skycowboypaul 11 11,473 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
  Scale drawing for title block faithfull worker 4 4,877 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Last Post: faithfull worker
  Default Template Chrisv22 1 3,971 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM