Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to scale a drawing

.pdf   9017_F-1a-rev.pdf (Size: 146.11 KB / Downloads: 23) I have a drawing and the scale on the drawing is 1/2"=1'-0". I have attached a PDF of the drawing. What I want to do is get the 2 doors that are on the drawing into DeltaCad so that I can copy over the lines with circles and splines and make some other changes to them. The doors are 1-3/4" x 30" x 96". On printed paper I have been able to change the scale succesfully to 1"=1'-0 and to 1-1/2"=1'-0" but I cannot do it in DeltaCad. Can one of you smart fellows give me a hand with this if you get some spare time. I really appreciate it.
Hi "skycowboypaul",

Hmmm... that's a tough one 'cause you can't import a PDF into DeltaCad. The best you could do is import a JPG of it, but that can't be edited either, except for resizing. And getting it sized to a specific scale in DeltaCad would be nearly impossible.

Your best bet, IMO, is to use the PDF drawing (printed) as a guide and draw it from scratch in DeltaCad. Then you can modify it as you wish.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sad

Chris "The Boss"
Thank you "The Boss." What I can do is copy & paste from the PDF into DeltaCad. And, I can print from the PDF to any scale I wish, as long as the paper is large enough. And, I can copy & paste the door or doors from the PDF into Infranview, create a JPEG or BMP and then import that image into DeltaCad. What I cannot do is get the doors to measure 30" x 96" from outside to outside once I get it into DeltaCad. I have come close, as close as 30-1/2 x 96 but I have not got it perfect yet. Basically what I am trying to do is what is being done in the 6 inch ruler video tutorial. But in that video they are going from larger to smaller and I want to go from smaller to larger. Thanks again Boss.

PS: This has got to be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. In the Forum, what is a "Signature."
The Signature is whatever you want included at the bottom of all of your posts. (see mine below) It can be created/edited in your User CP.
SkyCowboy,

I was able to copy and paste the pdf into DeltaCad but didn't like the results (thick lines and mosaic-like features) it can still be done but would be better if you used another program like Paint shop Pro to "capture" the image as a jpeg (to preserve line weight)(Vista users use "Snipping Tool" that is available with the Vista OS <<click here for directions on how to activate it>> . The reason you aren't getting the results you want is because your initial drawing is not proportioned correctly to begin with. Some programs call this the "aspect ratio", which is no more than the ratio of the width to height of an object. You really should start by creating the outer frame of the door first (to proper scale) then enlarge the image to match the frame. This video will help you to Scale your drawing to exact specifications. The "ruler" video re-sized the ruler smaller, where this tutorial will re-size larger. The logic here is that if you want something to be larger your "factor" will always be a number greater than "one". Likewise, anything smaller and your factor must be less than "one". If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I will be happy to do it for you.

Chris "i44troll"
Skycowboy,

I went ahead and completed the drawing using the method that I mentioned earlier. I will email the DC file to you if you need it, but here is what the doors look like together (left-click on the picture icon).     I really think that the arcs should have been drawn to curve from one door to the next as though they were "continuing" the arc, instead of continuing the arc in the same elevation on the next door, that way it would not give the shifted appearance that it does here.

Chris "i44troll"
Thank you, that is exactly what I am trying to do. I know you put a lot of time into this and I really do appreciate it. You are right about the arcs being drawn to curve from one door to the next as though they are continuing the arc. They do not look good drawn as is. I will bring this to the designers attention and I am sure changes will be made. If it is not to much trouble I would love to have the DC file, email it at your convenience. I have been working with the video, 'Scale your drawing to exact specifications' without success. My top horizontal red line in the small rectangle, always falls short of the top blue horizontal line in the large rectangle. I think the part that is throwing me is the "ratio" part. I will not give up until I get it. It is so nice now knowing that when I run into problems I have a place to go and get some help. I've read just about every post in this forum already and you guys are just soooo darn smart.
Skycowboy,

The main reason why you were having problems with the pdf file was because the door width was actually drawn at about 30 3/4" and not 30", which was not your fault at all. I went ahead and made some modifications and placed them beside the original drawings. I think you will find the new modification to be more uniform and symmetrical, just the way we both thought it should be, so that "the flow" would move from one door to the next. I also changed the location of some of the smaller horizontal bars to make it straight and even across. Check it out...    

I will send you this file when i receive your email

chris "i44troll"
Ha! I just realized I drew those silly doors upside down.....duh
No big deal Chris, I just stood on my head and I was able to read them just fine Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drawing Scale / Font Size Scribbler 10 12,555 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Last Post: i44troll
  Drawing scale in template Skubala 6 7,642 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Admin 1
  Scale drawing for title block faithfull worker 4 4,876 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Last Post: faithfull worker